Thailand Droughts Thread

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
buksida

Re: Thailand Droughts Thread

Post by buksida »

caller wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:56 pm I'm going to arrange for another water tank to be fitted, as we are diretly served by Pranburi Dam.
Likewise, will also get some additional tanks installed. Our reservoirs, also empty, are much smaller so they've been shutting the water off for days at a time which has never happened before. The irony is that it'll flood here in November and there'll be too much of the stuff, you can't win. Another scary thought is that next year will be worse.

Meanwhile, people are building houses around here like they're going out of fashion. If only they knew there wasn't enough electricity or water to supply what's there already. :banghead:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'd agree that water storage in however big a tank(s) solves the problem.
I'm very lucky in that when we had the house built, we made a 25,000 ltr underground tank made. At the time I thought it was very much an overkill.
However over time I've found that regardless of water cut-offs, we have never been effected. One year a neighbour asked how we were managing with no water. It had been cut-off for 5 days and I wasn't even aware. So store as much on your property as practical.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

HHTel wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:19 am I'm very lucky in that when we had the house built, we made a 25,000 ltr underground tank made. At the time I thought it was very much an overkill.
@HHTel, I'm curious how you keep your tanks clean...?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A couple of frogmen come to clean it!!
Seriously, I used a cleaner recommended by BB who has a similar underground tank. The outlet to the house system is off the bottom by some inches which allows the silt to settle at the bottom and therefore the water being pumped into the house is actually cleaner than the water that comes in from the mains.
It's not 'tanks' Ginja, just one tank.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Tankyou!
Do you filter the water and drink it?
At our condo we have two tanks. The first being the input/sediment tank and the second being the overfill that takes water from the first minus the sediment (hopefully). The second tank provides the output water to the condominium.
They are open tanks so easily cleaned.
Apologies for taking things off-topic.
Cheers,
GN.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Definitely do not drink it. No matter how safe it's said to be, I'll always use water from a trusted machine. I say trusted as you need to know whoever is responsible for it is changing the filters when they should.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:02 pm BB who has a similar underground tank.
Ginganinja, next time we see you at the house, I'll explain where our tank is - you'll be amazed.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:51 pm Ginganinja, next time we see you at the house, I'll explain where our tank is - you'll be amazed.
Is that where the failing students get thrown....!? :run: :duck:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Srettha set to tackle floods, depleted dams
Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has expressed concern as major reservoirs and dams are holding less water than they should while Ubon Ratchathani is being ravaged by floods.

The premier, accompanied by Agriculture Minister Capt Thammanat Prompow, visited the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) on Wednesday where they were briefed on the rainfall volumes and levels of water stored at major dams and reservoirs across the country, as well as the flood situation in Ubon Ratchathani.

Mr Srettha said he was informed by MPs in the province that the floods in Ubon Ratchathani could take up to a month to recede. He said he planned to tour the province, which is the economic hub of the lower northeastern region, in 10 days.

The province has been battered recently by heavy storms that unleashed heavy downpours causing widespread floods.

At the RID, Mr Srettha was told most large-scale reservoirs and dams across the country were storing less water than they should this late into the rainy season.

Figures show large reservoirs and dams were holding a combined 2,500 million cubic metres of water, which is half the level they held at this time last year.

The department also informed the premier that the reservoirs and dams had room to receive a further 2,600 million cubic metres of water.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... leted-dams

Only in Thailand can you have a drought and flooding at the same time ... :duck: It hasn't stopped raining for a week down here, yet our govt water still gets turned off frequently so we're using what falls out of the sky.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson