The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by Ginjaninja »

I was man enough not to cry through it but there where a few moments something got into my eye and caused some irritation resulting in fluid egress......
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Ginjaninja wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:28 pm I was man enough not to cry through it but there where a few moments something got into my eye and caused some irritation resulting in fluid egress......
:lach:

It is one of those. Love it when a movie can do that to me. 🤣

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Sisu 2023

From IMDB: Storyline
During the last desperate days of WWII, a solitary prospector (Jorma Tommila) crosses paths with Nazis on a scorched-earth retreat in northern Finland. When the Nazis steal his gold, they quickly discover that they have just tangled with no ordinary miner. While there is no direct translation for the Finnish word "sisu", this legendary ex-commando will embody what sisu means: a white-knuckled form of courage and unimaginable determination in the face of overwhelming odds. And no matter what the Nazis throw at him, the one-man death squad will go to outrageous lengths to get his gold back - even if it means killing every last Nazi in his path

From a review quoted on Metacritic.com: ReelViews James Berardinelli Apr 27, 2023
Sisu is one of those unheralded films that comes seemingly out of nowhere to grab the adventurous movie-goer by the throat. For a perfectly-pitched 90 minutes, it glories in the excesses of gore and violence with an exuberance rarely experienced this side of Quentin Tarantino.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

A rare visit from Homer, a treat indeed. :D

Great film Sisu, watched it at the cinema. Was posting the trailer but, after watching, nah... you wanna go in blind to this one and enjoy the ride. Cracker!

https://yts.mx/movies/sisu-2022
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Couple of good horrors, one just on the shelf today one a couple weeks back.

Talk to Me

The better of the two. (edit: I should big this up more, it's a great film...get downloading :D)

"When a group of friends discover how to conjure spirits using an embalmed hand, they become hooked on the new thrill, until one of them goes too far and unleashes terrifying supernatural forces."

https://yts.mx/movies/talk-to-me-2022

The Boogeyman

Adaptation of Stephen King's short story of the same name. Pretty generic horror but decent all the same I thought.

https://yts.mx/movies/the-boogeyman-2023
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

thecolonel wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:01 pm
sateeb wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:53 am No actually Limetorrents have had downloads for 3 days now so it's coming down the pipe as we speak

Thanks for your help though

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
Hate to disappoint but those will be handycam torrents. i.e. filmed in the cinema..They are very much crapola. :cheers:
No doubt most of them will be yes

But some decent quality stuff may be available very soon, much quicker than Lost's estimate I'm sure

I was curious today as to why a digital release of Oppenheimer was so long away after initial opening day in cinemas. Far longer than usual, every other movie I've watched at the cinema around that time has long been available on yts.

Upon searching, I've found out it's due to Nolan's contractual agreement with Universal upon getting rights for the movie. Minimum $100 million budget. Minimum $100 million marketing and (the relevant part) minimum 100 day theatrical release in cinemas. The 100 days is up sometime in October, so a digital release should follow soon after.

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:01 pm
sateeb wrote: Hate to disappoint but those will be handycam torrents. i.e. filmed in the cinema..They are very much crapola. :cheers:
No doubt most of them will be yes

But some decent quality stuff may be available very soon, much quicker than Lost's estimate I'm sure

I was curious today as to why a digital release of Oppenheimer was so long away after initial opening day in cinemas. Far longer than usual, every other movie I've watched at the cinema around that time has long been available on yts.

Upon searching, I've found out it's due to Nolan's contractual agreement with Universal upon getting rights for the movie. Minimum $100 million budget. Minimum $100 million marketing and (the relevant part) minimum 100 day theatrical release in cinemas. The 100 days is up sometime in October, so a digital release should follow soon after.

Excellent intel, thanks

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

A rare visit from Homer, a treat indeed. :D

Great film Sisu, watched it at the cinema.
Lost wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:59 amWas posting the trailer but, after watching, nah... you wanna go in blind to this one and enjoy the ride. Cracker!
Abos-bleeping-lutely

https://yts.mx/movies/sisu-2022
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

'No One Will Save You' (2023)

An exiled anxiety-ridden homebody must battle an alien who's found its way into her home.

An alien horror which hasn't a word spoken in the 90 or so minutes. But it works.

Well worth a watch.

https://yts.mx/movies/no-one-will-save-you-2023
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

'Nowhere' released only yesterday.
Spanish movie with dialogue both in Spanish and English.
Not on YTS yet. It cropped up on HDPrime for those that have it. You get a choice of dialogue.

One of the best movies I've seen in a while. 1 hour 50 mins and an emotional roller coaster.

"Fleeing a totalitarian country, pregnant Mia must fight for her life when a violent storm knocks the container in which she has been hiding overboard. Trapped, Mia gives birth and is forced to survive to save her baby."
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:41 pm Watched Strays last night. Some real laugh out loud moments for this definitely adults only movie.

Downloaded from https://yts.mx/movies/strays-2023
We got around to watching this last night. It has to be the funniest thing I've watched in years (maybe my warped sense of humour). An amazingly low IMDB rating, but it most certainly outstrips any comedy I have ever downloaded before.

A movie about cute dogs, but as sateeb warned, most certainly adults only.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One

https://yts.mx/movies/mission-impossibl ... t-one-2023
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:25 pm
We got around to watching this last night. It has to be the funniest thing I've watched in years (maybe my warped sense of humour). An amazingly low IMDB rating, but it most certainly outstrips any comedy I have ever downloaded before.
Thanks for the reminder - watched it last night and had the LHG and I in stiches :thumb:
dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:30 pm Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
I can only remember watching the first in the franchise - do you need some "background" before watching the latest movie(s)?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:18 am
dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:30 pm Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
I can only remember watching the first in the franchise - do you need some "background" before watching the latest movie(s)?
Not entirely sure. There is a developing thread throughout the series of films - without giving too much away it involves the team falling in and out of favour - but I haven't watched the latest one yet, so I don't know to what extent this is explained. Frankly, I'd be inclined to watch them in order anyway.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ :thumb:

Now this I'm looking forward to - Great cast, great director, great reviews..... At 3hrs 26mins though, I might need a break mid-way!! :D

Killers of the Flower Moon

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5537002/?ref_=chtmvm_t_11

And where's Oppenheimer??!!

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.