Samut Songkhram - Is there anything to see or do?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Re: Samut Songkhram - Is there anything to see or do?

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:07 am
buksida wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:49 pm The hotel was called Baan Saranrom I think, very clean and well-priced during the week as it was quiet.
I've looked at this hotel, and despite showing the wheelchair symbol and stating elevators, I see stand-alone bungalows and a lot of steps. Is there a main building with elevators or is this another booking agency gaff please? Unfortunately, your recommendation is most likely unsuitable. Unless you can tell me different.

Edit The rooms look very nice by the way.

Edit2 I've just looked again, but with my glasses on. The elevator is crossed through, so it looks as though the photos are accurate - a shame.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I didn't pay attention to wheelchair facilities because we don't have one, it doesn't have an elevator as it is all low level. Our room was a bungalow on the ground level though so no stairs required.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, this is a problem. None of us do, because we don't have to. I think every ground level bungalow shown in the photos has an element of steps - an able bodied person would climb the few steps without really noticing. However, my wife isn't totally disabled, and can manage a few steps. The bungalow in Koh Samui had a lot more - even to go to the loo :shock: It worried me when I saw some of the buildings going to higher levels. Actually, even our bungalow at home has 9 steps :D.

I did like what I saw, so will discuss with Mrs BB later. Discussed & booked :D

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:39 pm No, this is a problem. None of us do, because we don't have to. I think every ground level bungalow shown in the photos has an element of steps - an able bodied person would climb the few steps without really noticing. However, my wife isn't totally disabled, and can manage a few steps. The bungalow in Koh Samui had a lot more - even to go to the loo :shock: It worried me when I saw some of the buildings going to higher levels. Actually, even our bungalow at home has 9 steps :D.

I did like what I saw, so will discuss with Mrs BB later. Discussed & booked :D
You can always phone and ask them
Normally this is their number : 081 310 1406
:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks. but I've booked now, and have requested ground floor with minimal steps.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:06 pm Thanks. but I've booked now, and have requested ground floor with minimal steps.
Ok :thumb:
Enjoy your trip and stay :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:51 pm I've visited Samut Songkram couple of times years ago. There are other floating markets as well but if you seen some in other places, they are nothing that different.

Where I'd go. (not in this particular order but as they come to my mind.) Nothing as spectacular as the sights in Ratchaburi but worth a short trip.
I've been working through your suggestions BG. Some interesting places there. We'll certainly give some, if not all of them a try. You'll get the result in my trip report. Of course, travelling mid-August, the trip report might just say, "Rain stopped play."

My trip is slowly taking shape in my mind. You have been very helpful.

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

To add to the Rama II house, even the grounds are nice if your wife cannot go upstairs, there's shade underneath the building.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I've been thinking that. I will plot a route in the next few days, and will include it to test the feasibility.

I've actually made a blunder in my planning. I thought the Red Bridge was Samut Songkhram, but its actually Samut Sakhon. However, to catch the train to the Railway Market, the station is Ban Laem, so I'll be over that way. Both visits will be the same day.

Points 48; Position 20