Problems with rats

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Problems with rats

Post by bigston »

Well so far this weeks its eaten 5 holes on the flywire door to escape, infiltrated a cupboard and enjoyed a vast variety of breakfast cereals, followed by coffee beans the next night, had a chew at the bottom of 3 doors , etc etc etc
im sure some of you can relate to this

the blue rat bait from lotus, not interested
the rat glue on a hard surface with peanut butter in the middle, not interested
so far its just laughing at my pathetic attempts to get rid of it.

i would appreciate some maybe proven ideas to eliminate it.
Thanks.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Problems with rats

Post by Nereus »

I have always had success with this type:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/rat-t ... MIQAvD_BwE

There are a couple of different models, most old style hardware shops have them.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We find the sticky stuff to be excellent. Results aren't immediate, but we've always got our man within a couple of days.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Big Boy wrote:We find the sticky stuff to be excellent. Results aren't immediate, but we've always got our man within a couple of days.
I agree on that one. We used the same and always caught the culprit within a couple of days. Not all Thais line this one though since the rat is stuck to the glue alive.

YNWA

YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The downside is you don't only catch rats/mice. Last week, we trapped the most beautiful lizard. He was huge - the ones that look slimy. Unfortunately, despite being released alive, he didn't make it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

The best bait at our house has been bread. Good old cheap Thai steam baked bread, white or wholemeal without anything on it. Used in the trap as mentioned we have caught rats and mice regularly.
Our most productive spot is in the ceiling space but anywhere where it is dark and they can scurry around.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Nereus wrote:I have always had success with this type:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/rat-t ... MIQAvD_BwE

There are a couple of different models, most old style hardware shops have them.
Always works. Trouble is we have to release it in the wild somewhere as wife refuses to countenance the ultimate sanction.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

i think i made 2 stupid mistakes,
i managed to catch a "bigger " one a few weeks ago and it was released "not despatched ", down the road a bit.
Second mistake was a small one in the pool swimming for its life
it too was released...

The problem area it has gotten into was a floor level cupboard with food, cereal etc in it.
How the ,,,, it got into a cupboard that has no entry point is ???

so from what ive gathered do far is the sticky glue stuff works as well as a Trap , cage thing with bread ??/ or maybe peanut butter
i only keep mentioning peanut butter as a few searches recommend it
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Catch and release does not work with them. They spread disease, and breed faster than rabbits. They chewed up all the wiring in my electric organ so I'm quite po'ed. Get those 'snap' type traps they die immediately. Glue does get the younger ones but the old ones are wiser and stay away. Agreed, those blue rice poison things don't work. You have to go to your night market and find those shops selling 'everything for twenty baht' places. They have blue rat poison that look like big lozenges. Those are effective.
วินเชนท์
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

bigston wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:42 am Well so far this weeks its eaten 5 holes on the flywire door to escape, infiltrated a cupboard and enjoyed a vast variety of breakfast cereals, followed by coffee beans the next night, had a chew at the bottom of 3 doors , etc etc etc
im sure some of you can relate to this

the blue rat bait from lotus, not interested
the rat glue on a hard surface with peanut butter in the middle, not interested
so far its just laughing at my pathetic attempts to get rid of it.

Thanks.
100% success with a cat
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

dundrillin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:32 pm
bigston wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:42 am
Thanks.
100% success with a cat
Yes!
Attachments
Compress_cd8a9d14-a200-4b53-a43b-076b8975c222Compress_e7c46295-1c4f-4129-a0ff-bced3a39000420230707_221406.jpg
Compress_cd8a9d14-a200-4b53-a43b-076b8975c222Compress_e7c46295-1c4f-4129-a0ff-bced3a39000420230707_221406.jpg (86.76 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Purrfect Solution.
After losing my last cat at 18 years, shortly before coming here, nothing would be nicer than another, but not possible at present.
Anyway after a solid days dectective work plus the fact that i saw out of the corner of my eye something big disappear under the kitchen cabinet, and after someone capable of looking that low under the cabinet , there were 2 rather large openings, shoddy " Cabinet " work either end. i wont bore you with the ensuring details, but one LARGE one and 5 small ones were " Dispatched "
and so far so further signs..
Thanks All.