The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by dtaai-maai »

What a start by Leinster!!! Surely they can't keep this up?
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Wow, just WOW!! What a match - that was rugby at it's best!! :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It was indeed an amazing game. A couple of Leinster players losing their heads in the last couple of minutes may well have cost them the game, but I think La Roch deserved it on the basis of their 2nd half performance. Not Jako Peiper's finest day.

Regardless, it was fabulous entertainment, real edge of the seat stuff. I was so exhausted at the end of the game that I had to pour myself a stiff whisky...
:cheers: :cheers:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:31 am I think La Roch deserved it on the basis of their 2nd half performance.
I honestly think it was one of those games which neither side deserved to lose. Leinster were simply incredible in the first quarter - 17-0 up after 12 odd minutes for God's sake!! This was by no means due to La Rochelle playing below par.

La Rochelle then getting a Yellow and I thought it was all over as a contest TBH - how wrong could I be?! LR picked things up, some incredible defending by Leinster, individual brilliance on both sides, some questionable refereeing, a couple more Yellow Cards all made it an absolutely incredible event.

Hats off to both teams! :thumb:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well another season comes to a close in the UK/Europe as do a couple of playing careers......

Hopefully things will end on a high. Coming up this weekend at "Twickers" (Rah, Rah): -
Premiership-Final.jpg
Premiership-Final.jpg (29.78 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Baabaas.jpg
Baabaas.jpg (15 KiB) Viewed 149 times
World XV vs Barbarians lineups: -
Lineups.jpg
Lineups.jpg (64.65 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Both matches available on UK Terrestrial TV, so those with Expat TV should be able to stream on that platform. Otherwise, the usual suspects are worth a try: -

https://www.vipstand.st/
https://buffstreams.sx/
https://myp2p.biz/index.php?part=home
http://www.sportp2p.com/live-sport/

Times shown are BST

Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Pharvey,congratulations on becoming a moderator on this very informative website,whether living there on a full time basis or an occasional visitor. Your comments,input regarding rugby have always been informative and non-biased,hopefully your team and the one north of the border will continue to improve and we shall be able to compete to a greater extent in the coming seasons.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thistle wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:42 am Pharvey,congratulations on becoming a moderator on this very informative website,whether living there on a full time basis or an occasional visitor. Your comments,input regarding rugby have always been informative and non-biased,hopefully your team and the one north of the border will continue to improve and we shall be able to compete to a greater extent in the coming seasons.
I agree with almost every word, Thistle; pharvey will know immediately which one made me burst out laughing! :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Ahem.... Rather embarrassingly, I've forgotten to post details of the ERC Final on Saturday. Likely available on the "usual suspects" to stream...
ERC.jpg
ERC.jpg (25.01 KiB) Viewed 136 times
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Thanks to Thistle for the kind sentiments - as DM will attest to, I've always been impartial when it comes to rugby... :D :wink:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

More sad news in the world of rugby :(

London Irish: Premiership Club Served Winding-up Petition by HMRC

"London Irish have been served a winding-up petition by HM Revenue & Customs over an unpaid tax bill.

The ailing Premiership club were this week given an extended deadline of 16:00 BST on Tuesday, 6 June to complete a proposed takeover.

But on Friday petitions were filed at the High Court against London Irish Holdings Limited and London Irish Rugby Football Ground Limited.

Irish could yet be suspended from the top flight of English rugby.

For the club to avoid suspension, they must complete a takeover or demonstrate they have the funding to operate for the entire 2023-24 season."

More @ https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/65797622
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And so it's official...... :(

"London Irish have been suspended from the Premiership after missing a deadline to pay players and staff.

The club, who were given until Tuesday to complete a takeover or risk being suspended, will not be allowed to play in any league next season."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65819546
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Just to further the congratulations to Pete on the new moderator gig. Just goes to show, dreams really can come true.

:thumb: :cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yes, it took a while, but Jim really did fix it for Pietro!
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:12 pm Just to further the congratulations to Pete on the new moderator gig. Just goes to show, dreams really can come true.

:thumb: :cheers:
dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:25 pm Yes, it took a while, but Jim really did fix it for Pietro!
Neither flattery nor sentiment will get you anywhere :neener: :wink:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

No sooner has the demise of London Irish RFC been confirmed, that Bath announce they're in talks to sign the now clubless Henry Arundell who was actually an Academy Player at Bath. Whilst I'd love to see Arundell make a return to "The Rec", it does smack of the vultures circling.... That said, there'll be a few clubs home and abroad joining Bath to pick over the bones.

Sadly not all staff and players will be so fortunate to be in such high demand though....