North Andaman Scuba Diving - February 2023

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

North Andaman Scuba Diving - February 2023

Post by Ratsima »

buksida wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:33 am Thats what I was going to ask, how about a little dive report in a new thread?
The dive was not great. Conditions were OK, but it seems that the North Andaman just isn't as nice as it once was. My wife said the same thing: "It's just not as pretty as it was." We didn't really see that much of interest and sites that were once very beautiful seemed rather ordinary. The last time we saw a Manta or Whale Shark was in March of 2019. Even our dive guides said that "big stuff" is not as common as it had been throughout much of the twenty teens.

I generally make a dive video of a trip's highlights. Reviewing the clips I see it will be difficult to choose very many highlights. If I make one, I'll post it here.

There were a few creatures of interest:

• A pair of tiny Harlequin Shrimp
• A Mantis Shrimp scurrying about
• A Black Velutinid (ugly but rare)
• A Napoleon Wrasse (somewhat rare)
• Some Aeolid Nudibranchs (Blue Dragon)

The boat we were on was the Tapana Catamaran. The staff on this boat is great. The "boat boys" are well trained and experienced and make diving a please. The food is superb and way too plentiful. The cabins are small but comfortable with en suite bathrooms.
buksida

Re: North Andaman Scuba Diving - February 2023

Post by buksida »

Nice. What was the price for the trip and how many days?

What dive sites did you visit? I haven't been diving in the Similans for at least 20 years, and it seems like overfishing has decimated most of the marine life in the Andaman (and Gulf for that matter).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Dive Sites:

• Zodiac (check dive)
• West of Eden
• Elephant Head Rock
• Richelieu (2)
• Tachai Pinnacle (2)
• Koh Bon Ridge
• North Point
• Three Trees
• Zodiac

We dove for four days. We didn't do the night dives, so for us it was three dives per day.

The trip cost 36,400 Baht each. That includes airport transport, five nights on the boat, four or five meals a day and non-alcoholic beverages. This is an expensive boat. We usually spent about 30K baht for four day trips.

We first dove with the Tapana Catamaran in 2015. This was our 13th(?) trip on that boat.

This might have been the best North Andaman trip, back in March of 2019 on the Mv Moana:

Whale Shark -- wait for it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Fantastic!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Superb vid, now I really miss diving!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:31 pm Superb vid, now I really miss diving!
Same here!! Was the airfare that was included go out of BKK?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Sorry for the confusion. Air fare is not included. Just transport from the airport to Ratsada Pier and back.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

As promised, here's the video from our North Andaman dive trip last week. Nothing spectacular.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Nice, the viz looks pretty good. Seriously need to dust off my diving gear now!
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

buksida wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:23 pm Nice, the viz looks pretty good. Seriously need to dust off my diving gear now!
The viz was pretty good much of the time. There were a few thermoclines that messed things up a bit.

Actually, iMove does a pretty good job of cleaning up less-than-perfect viz. So, what you see might be a bit better than what we got.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:23 pm Nice, the viz looks pretty good. Seriously need to dust off my diving gear now!
Let's do it!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.