5G rollout in Thailand

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: 5G rollout in Thailand

Post by VincentD »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:43 pm How will, if it will, affect a phone call or computer use? Will I be able to talk faster and say more in a shorter period of time, will my typing speed increase or will I be able to read what's on the screen faster? I'm digitally illiterate and don't understand the benefits to normal humans of a 5G network.
Also, can I still use my 3G dumb phone?
While shopping for a new phone two weeks ago (for the wife) the newer phones have a 5G option. Enquiring a little deeper, yes, you can get 5G. But... You need a seperate 5G package; you cannot use the 3G/4G thing that is in use right now. We did the obvious and declined 5G, so wifey now has a 4G iPhone 11.
If you're not a power user like me, and just use the phone to check emails and watch the occasional YouTube video, 3/4G is more than sufficient.
As for using your dumb phone, I still have a Samsung Hero 2G in the car - no internet, not even a camera - but great 4 week+ battery standby and still runs with a 3G sim card installed. 10 baht a month to keep the sim current, and standard phone rates.
i wouldn't worry too much about 5G taking over the world.. :)
วินเชนท์
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Yes you will need a 5G package, but it does not exclude 3G/4G, it is on top of (and will eventually be just the norm). However, you were wise. We are years away from 5G being something worth paying for.
buksida

Post by buksida »

5G will largely benefit governments and autocratic regimes such as this one that needs to develop its surveillance infrastructure to keep control and maintain a state of fear. AI, facial recognition, IoT will all see huge benefits from the extra bandwidth but the average user that checks email and plays on Farcebook for most of the day won't notice much difference.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

buksida wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:42 am 5G will largely benefit governments and autocratic regimes such as this one that needs to develop its surveillance infrastructure to keep control and maintain a state of fear. AI, facial recognition, IoT will all see huge benefits from the extra bandwidth but the average user that checks email and plays on Farcebook for most of the day won't notice much difference.
Oh boy. Will it? Thanks. I never considered these benefits. Then I hope it pinpoints all the moron racist gun toting Trump supporters.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The service, this past week, from GTV, was horrible. The picture kept stopping and starting and the sound was garbled. When my wife called to ask about it, they said, they are testing 5G and didn't know when normal service would be restored. It took about a week to return to normal. Is this what we can look forward to with 5G?

"Then I hope it pinpoints all the moron racist gun toting Trump supporters."
How about all the other "moron racist gun" toters and all the other morons, racists and gun toters and all the smart, non-racist gun toters and morons, racists and gun toters, in general?

Eventually, we will all be surveyed. It's going on now via the camera in your computer.
buksida

Post by buksida »

AIS announces successful testing of 5G technology
Testing by Advanced Info Service (AIS) of 5G CA (carrier aggregation) technology on its full bandwidth of 100 MHz in the band of 2600 MHz and 1200 MHz of the 26 GHz band has achieved 5G download speeds of 22.01 gigabits per second (Gbps) and maximum upload speeds of 4.4 Gbps, representing a global first.

The testing was conducted in a lab as well as in real-life use cases, according to a recent AIS announcement.

AIS successfully conducted the testing of 5G CA technology on the two wavebands at the start of last year, when the testing recorded download speeds of 8.5 Gbps and upload speeds of 2.17 Gbps. Tests of 5G CA have since been ongoing with global partners.

Wasit Wattanasap, head of the nationwide operations and support business unit at AIS, said the company aims to become what he calls a "cognitive tech co", which is driving the company to develop existing network capabilities with an investment budget this year of 27-30 billion baht.

This would allow AIS's customers to access digital services equally and on the 5G network in particular, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/25 ... technology

We're lucky if we can get 4G out here in the boonies!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson