Paying car tax

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Paying car tax

Post by Nereus »

sateeb wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:51 pm If I could be arsed I would show you my insurance policy without CMI and then if I was further arsed I would show the blue book with the CMI stapled to the back with the CMI issued by the testing station.
Point is I can't really be arsed dealing with idiots..see below.
You can't be arsed because you cannot bear to be proven wrong!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Stick to your synoptic charts old chap you're just confusing the Op with mis information.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

sateeb wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:48 pm Stick to your synoptic charts old chap you're just confusing the Op with mis information.
It is you that is confused.
The inspection stations are a privately owned business, licensed by the DLT to inspect vehicles for supposed road worthiness, before renewing the road tax. They are also authorised to sell compulsory insurance policies, which have nothing to do with the DLT. Your favorite bar girl could just as well sell policies, if she came to an arrangment with an insurance company. The DLT are only interested in seeing current proof of Tor Ror Bor insurance.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

So pherhaps you Einstein's commenting about Tor Ror Bor can maybe explain the following:

I have 3 copies of Tor Ror Bor policies here, 2 of them current, 1 from last year. Each one is from a different insurance company:

1. KWI Insurance
2. Indara Insurance
3. KWG Insurance

There are others that I no longer have. So, which of these companies belong to the DLT?

All of these policies were typed up and issued at the inspection garage, where I have been going for the last 15 years or so. On the one occasion that I did allow my damage policy company to add it to my policy, it then became apparent that because the issue date did not match the DLT tax date, there was now a period when the Tor Ror Bor was invalid. But you already knew that, didn't you?

There is also NO receipt slip attached to any Blue Book. The policies have a tear off section along the bottom, which is retained by the DLT.

In addition, the Land Rover runs on LPG and the tank has to be inspected and a certificate issued, prior to tax renewal each year. A copy of the certificate is also retained by the DLT.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The compulsory insurance (Por Ror Bor) also applies to motorcycles and ours have always come from the same company over the years (we have a lot of motorcycles and a truck): Road Accident Victims Protection Company Limited. It is issued at the same time as the rego/tax (presumably from the DLT since that is the only place the books go to).

https://www.rvp.co.th/history_en.php

More info: https://www.roojai.com/en/car-insurance/compulsory/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Most of the sites including .gov sites do say that you can buy CMI at the DLT.
CMI can be bought from the local Department of Land Transport Office (DLT)
Here's just one:

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thaila ... -insurance

It's my guess that the government has an agreement with one or more insurance companies and the DLT use those.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:57 am Most of the sites including .gov sites do say that you can buy CMI at the DLT.
CMI can be bought from the local Department of Land Transport Office (DLT)
Here's just one:

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thaila ... -insurance
Really? "angloinfo"! How about a government site that shows it? They are making the same mistake as a recent poster here, where he claims that the DLT is "behind Market Village"!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Last time I was at the DLT in Pranburi on another unrelated matter I did see an office in the building selling CMI. But you already knew that. The poster who said the DLT was behind MV was mistakenly comparing that to a fairly newish inspection garage. They are springing up all over the place, but once again, pherhaps(sic), you already knew that!!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.