Washing fruit/vegetables

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Washing fruit/vegetables

Post by hhinner »

Nereus wrote:
deepee wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:23 am
handdrummer wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:42 pm Once the fruit is peeled, all the toxins on the outside are gone. I don't know of anyone getting ill from eating peeled fruit.

Both the Mrs and I had a desperate bout of 'the runs' after eating peeled fruit off one of those street trolley vendors few years back in BKK. Been ever so wary of peeled fruit since then.
And yes peeling the fruit might remove toxins and pesticides on the skin but it does nothing for those that have become stored within the flesh of the item over the growing period.
When buying peeled fruit from a street vendor, the most likely way of getting sick is from fruit contaminated with human excrement. There is no way these people are able to wash their hands properly after using the toilet. Caveat Emptor!
Yes, but they do often wear latex gloves, which I am sure are changed regularly (weekly, monthly).Image
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Oh, Nereus. I wish you hadn't posted that. I can't get the visions out of my head now. Everytime I buy fruit now I'll be thinking whether they've just been to the toilet or not.
Although, as Hhinner says, they normally have latex gloves on. I'll be paying attention to that now.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:Oh, Nereus. I wish you hadn't posted that. I can't get the visions out of my head now. Everytime I buy fruit now I'll be thinking whether they've just been to the toilet or not.
Although, as Hhinner says, they normally have latex gloves on. I'll be paying attention to that now.
Yes, but how clean are those gloves? ImageImageImage
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Oh, shut up!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

This whole conversation sounds like the problems of 1st. world people in a 3rd. world country.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:56 am This whole conversation sounds like the problems of 1st. world people in a 3rd. world country.
Just tell your cook to wash the fruit.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:25 am
handdrummer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:56 am This whole conversation sounds like the problems of 1st. world people in a 3rd. world country.
And tell the maid to clean up afterward. Anything left undone will be taken care of by the housekeeper and laundress.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:59 pm
STEVE G wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:25 am
And tell the maid to clean up afterward. Anything left undone will be taken care of by the housekeeper and laundress. I'll be going out shortly, please call my driver. Oh sorry, I didn't mean to say "please," it's just a Western habit.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Id perhaps be a little more concerned with this
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2023 ... o-our-food
than Lek Lek's fruit cart , oh and you should see the spare pair of gloves he has....
and im sure ive seen carrots in Makro that glow in the dark
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Washing fruit/vegetables

Post by Dannie Boy »

bigston wrote:Id perhaps be a little more concerned with this
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2023 ... o-our-food
than Lek Lek's fruit cart , oh and you should see the spare pair of gloves he has....
and im sure ive seen carrots in Makro that glow in the dark
They pretty much glow in the daylight too - and some of them could win prizes in UK horticultural shows for “biggest in class” awards!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk