Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Electric Cars

Post by STEVE G »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:30 pm I don't understand why some people try to talk other people out of buying something.
Follow the money! Since Toyota, the world's largest car maker found themselves wrongfooted on the transition to EVs and behind all their competitors, they've been actively lobbying against EV's in their global markets, likewise the fossil fuel companies.
But I agree with you in that I don't understand why individuals want to keep repeating such stuff on platforms like this.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:49 pm
handdrummer wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:30 pm I don't understand why some people try to talk other people out of buying something.
Follow the money! Since Toyota, the world's largest car maker found themselves wrongfooted on the transition to EVs and behind all their competitors, they've been actively lobbying against EV's in their global markets, likewise the fossil fuel companies.
But I agree with you in that I don't understand why individuals want to keep repeating such stuff on platforms like this.
I thought discussion is allowed on this site. Pointing out faults is part of it. Electric cars are being pushed but the back up for charging them is not in place yet and I cannot see it happening for years. Anybody who has not got a garage or drive cannot be happy having to queue to top up there electric car. I regularly take long journeys up to 300 to 400 miles hundred miles, I do that on one tank of fuel, heaters on in cold weather. Electric cars are only good for very short journeys.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:30 pm EVs are like everything else that's for sale; if you want one, buy one, if you don't, don't.
I don't understand why some people try to talk other people out of buying something.
It's not your money, it's not your life. Why do you care?
Well, I'm certainly not trying to talk anyone out of buying an EV - as you say, it's down to the individual. The situation varies in different countries - for me in the UK, purchasing an EV is neither practical or financially viable at this stage. I'm sure costs will come down and reliability/range/infrastructure will improve in the future though. My current car (diesel) has a few more years to go yet, although costs (fuel/taxes etc.) are increasing dramatically. I do keep my eye on the EV market anyway, but will likely have a serious look when it's time to change cars.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:31 pm
I thought discussion is allowed on this site. Pointing out faults is part of it.....
Pointing out faults would be interesting if it came from people who owned electric cars.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 pm

I thought discussion is allowed on this site. Pointing out faults is part of it.....
Pointing out faults would be interesting if it came from people who owned electric cars.
Just like pointing out the faults of the gallows should be limited to people who own gallows.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:10 pm
Just like pointing out the faults of the gallows should be limited to people who own gallows.
Or people who have been hung!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:35 pm

Only if they own the gallows.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 pm Pointing out faults would be interesting if it came from people who owned electric cars.
Well, perhaps "faults" was the wrong choice of words, but I think we all understand what lindos meant. He like me, is talking from a viewpoint of being in the UK - yes, this is a Thai/HH Forum, but the subject matter is "Electric Cars" in general.

My concerns are primarily cost, range and infrastructure - how long does the battery pack in an EV really last and what's the cost of a replacement? Could I purchase a 2nd hand EV say 3-5 years old with 60K miles on the clock and would it be worth doing so (as I can with a decent petrol/diesel)? Lot's more which has already been mentioned, but I do love the performance of those (EV's) I've test driven. :thumb:

Give it another few years and it will be a clearer picture I'm sure.

:cheers: :cheers:
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:02 am
STEVE G wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:35 pm

Only if they own the gallows.
When getting a car I do not have blind faith in the manufactures claims. The faults are lack of distance loss of power in cold weather price battery life etc , how will I charge it. etc. looking for faults is common sense. If you have a blind faith in believing manufacturing claims you should look into the way you purchase. I said electric cars are good for short journeys in warm weather with a place to charge it. Apart from that at this moment in time they are not fit for purpose.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Let’s be realistic, EV cars are almost exclusively a very recent introduction in terms of mass marketing - let’s say the last 10 years and even in that time, there have been significant improvements in nearly all aspects of performance and range. That bodes well that over the next 10+ years there will be significantly greater development of the technology and what we are concerned about today will no longer be an issue.

At the moment there are two main concerns - the infrastructure and let’s say range. Sorting out the infrastructure is doable, we just need to hope that Governments provide sufficient incentives for industry to get its act together. There has been talk of new Solid State batteries for a number of years that claim to be a game changer in terms of range and charging times - let’s hope the scientists come up with the solutions in the next few years.

Unfortunately a lot of the people on this forum are getting closer and closer towards the end of their driving life, so may not get to enjoy the full benefits that the younger members will enjoy - I hope I just creep in and get that experience!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:33 am Let’s be realistic, EV cars are almost exclusively a very recent introduction in terms of mass marketing - let’s say the last 10 years and even in that time, there have been significant improvements in nearly all aspects of performance and range. That bodes well that over the next 10+ years there will be significantly greater development of the technology and what we are concerned about today will no longer be an issue.

At the moment there are two main concerns - the infrastructure and let’s say range. Sorting out the infrastructure is doable, we just need to hope that Governments provide sufficient incentives for industry to get its act together. There has been talk of new Solid State batteries for a number of years that claim to be a game changer in terms of range and charging times - let’s hope the scientists come up with the solutions in the next few years.
Pretty much spot on there DB :thumb:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

On the subject of automotive advancement:

"Joseph Barsaleaux, a blacksmith of Sandy Hill, New York, built a motor horse. In his device, the horse moved on a single wheel about two feet in diameter, with the wheel attached to the shafts just as was a live horse. Reins attached to the mouth of the horse served as a steering gear, because the machinery was inside the horse and had to be regulated some way. The contraption weighed about 550 pounds, had a cruising speed of six miles an hour, and attracted some serious attention."
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Most of the big malls and supermarkets in Bkk have a few EV chargers for those shopping there. A couple of days ago, I was at the newish TOPS on soi39 between Sukhamvit and the Petchaburi Rd and there is a couple of chargers there. A BMW pulled up and then a little scenario unfolded, where basically it appeared no-one could connect the car to the charger. I watched amused for a few minutes as the female driver became more and more irate and eventually drove off in a huff. No idea what the problem was, but she got annoyed she couldn't use the other charger as it had been booked out to someone else. Learnt from my other half who was ear-wigging. A new World problem!

Edit - thinking about it, the problem may have been with the charger rather than the connection?
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’ll be called “charge-rage”!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

There's a couple of BMW charging stations near to the exit of Market Village
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.