The Land Rover Defender

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: The Land Rover Defender

Post by Nereus »

Squabbling about something that it appears none of you know what you are talking about!

These new Defenders are bought by the same hi-so's that buy Benz, BMW, and other luxury cars.
The only thing that they have in common with older Defenders is the name. A bit like comparing a scooter with a Ducati big bike! Including the drivers!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I think another point is that like all these expensive 4x4 SUV's that you see everywhere, almost no one is going to actually risk that amount of money by using them off road.
Not until they're going cheap on the second hand market anyway, I used to have a friend who had tremendous fun with old Range Rovers, buying them for a couple of thousand and taking them off road.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Not until they're going cheap on the second hand market anyway,
The older Range Rovers, now refferred to as "classic", are no longer cheap! I looked at one just last week, that is in need of a complete restoration, and they are asking 1.2 Million Baht as is!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Nereus wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:34 pm
Not until they're going cheap on the second hand market anyway,
The older Range Rovers, now refferred to as "classic", are no longer cheap! I looked at one just last week, that is in need of a complete restoration, and they are asking 1.2 Million Baht as is!
I know, I cringe at what my old friend used to do with them!
Back in the nineties you could buy those original Range Rovers in the UK for about 1,500gbp, they weren't very popular as old cars because they only did about 14mpg.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Land Rover electric parking brake

Post by Nereus »

Moving on from that which Pete posted about his Pajero parking brake, the following shows what is involved with Land Rover Discoveries series 3 and 4 parking brakes.

The actuator is the black box shown in the photo. It is not possible to replace the unit without removing the body from the car. They are known to fail, and there is an emergency one time only way to release it.

This particular car had a blown diesel engine, the crankshaft having broken, also a known fault on one particular batch of engines, again a body off job to replace it!
The cars are designed to have the body removed, but it is still around about a 4 hour job. Most of that time is probably saved once the body is off.
parking brake.jpg
parking brake.jpg (48.78 KiB) Viewed 98 times
body off .jpg
body off .jpg (61.36 KiB) Viewed 98 times