Have 'other banks' ATMs started charging a fee?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Re: Have 'other banks' ATMs started charging a fee?

Post by Scout »

buksida wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:34 am I'm usually charged when I use a K-bank (or other) ATM in a different province than where the account was opened.
Same for me. One time I had to make a sizable deposit of cash, forgot to stop at my Hua Hin Bangkok Bank when I started my drive to Bangkok. I remembered when I was driving though Samut Prakan, pulled off the highway and found a Bangkok Bank branch. They charged me nearly 200 baht to deposit 300,000 cash because I was out of my province.

I think the out-of-province fee is totally different from the other-banks-atm fee.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

buksida wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:34 am I'm usually charged when I use a K-bank (or other) ATM in a different province than where the account was opened.
Not with cardless withdrawal.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

That used to happen when I made out-of-province withdrawals, but I haven't seen it in years. My K-bank account is in Korat, but I'm in Cha Am every month and make frequent withdrawals without charge. However, I never use the actual card and always use my phone to make card-less withdrawals. Perhaps that's why no charge?

Update: I asked my wife about this. She said that K-Bank does charge if you use the actual card to make an out-of-province withdrawal. So, she has switched to TTB which is free; even if you use the card in another province.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

pitsch wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:40 pm
Not with cardless withdrawal.
Come to think of it I also haven't been charged when using cardless in other provinces. A Thai QR code success story. :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Obviously we have been charged ATM services as our banks were outside Thailand, but friends living in HH tell me they weren't ever charged unless using another bank's ATM (and this only when travelling - Bangkok or further north for example).

In the UK, the majority don't charge but I saw a BBC report today showing local bank branches are closing at a rate of 54 per month!! It doesn't hurt me as such, but many are losing jobs. I have access to several ATM's (local garages/supermarkets etc.), but rarely use cash now - especially after the whole Covid issue. My banking is and has been for many years done Online. How does this differ from HH? I'm guessing local restaurants, pubs are mostly cash - supermarkets being either?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've always been hit with a fee out of province for as long as I can remember using ATMs here. There is also an annual fee for the card and you have to pay to renew it (K-bank anyway), banks are all about taking, they give little back. Never tried cardless withdrawals, will have a go with the phone next time.

The UK is rushing towards a cash-free society. Thailand is a little backward as usual so outside of Bangkok (which is geared up for swipe cards and QR codes,) cash is still king.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s going to be a long time to convert me from using anything other than cash in Thailand - it’s not been a problem in the past 11 years!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've noticed of late, that paying by QR code is really taking off. COD online deliveries, Grab and the like, many bars/restaurants etc etc. Even small purchases 100 baht or so. It's prompted me to use it more and more.

The beauty is that a business doesn't have to be registered to accept various cards. Even a 1 man business, as long as he has a bank account, then he/she will have a QR code to take payments.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:02 am It’s going to be a long time to convert me from using anything other than cash in Thailand - it’s not been a problem in the past 11 years!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm with you mate! Bloody BS QR codes, phone whatever it is, even online banking is a risk in this country!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:36 am I've always been hit with a fee out of province for as long as I can remember using ATMs here. There is also an annual fee for the card and you have to pay to renew it (K-bank anyway), banks are all about taking, they give little back. Never tried cardless withdrawals, will have a go with the phone next time.

The UK is rushing towards a cash-free society. Thailand is a little backward as usual so outside of Bangkok (which is geared up for swipe cards and QR codes,) cash is still king.
Have never used "Cardless Withdrawals" - personally I think Smart Phones are less secure than a home Laptop/PC that is well protected.
The whole "Connect/Swipe System" in the UK and elsewhere is also dangerous - I've seen (and caught) someone attempting to scan another’s card through his wallet (back pocket) whilst walking past. I was told by the local Police that this is far from uncommon to steal details. Plenty of so-called "Card Shields" available, but whether these work or not.

"Cash Free" will hurt many in the UK - small villages/towns, those not IT literate - thankfully, my 80+ year old mother is well with it and can do her banking, shopping online and pay bills etc. Unfortunately many others can't.

As to the OP, and the comment from buks above, I'm surprised that even "out of province" that you'd be hit with a charge if using the same bank - of course, this means you are able to use "your bank" where you travel! As far as I know, any ATM in the UK (for a UK account) that charges is a flat £2 - how does that compare to Thailand?

Obviously foreign accounts will be charged the flat fee plus exchange etc.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I am a member of the dinosaur club as well :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Likewise, don't really trust Thai web/mobile tech/security yet, especially when finances are concerned!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I almost never use cash or plastic, whether I’m in Cha Am or Korat or elsewhere. The number of places that only accept cash is quite small.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Cash or QR code are fine by me. (Yesterday I found out that Mr Donut give a free donut if you pay by QR. ) Can't see any downside with QR payment. More secure than card, especially tap and go card.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm with you hhinner. I use (and carry) very little cash these days. The QR code is accepted almost everywhere except 7/11 where you still need cash, or use their 'wallet' system. Even buying fruit and veg in the market - QR code - no problem.