Hand Baggage - Restrictions

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Big Boy

Hand Baggage - Restrictions

Post by Big Boy »

I've used hand baggage only for day trips during my working life. Things have changed a lot since then.

On my forthcoming trip to Chiang Mai, there is no logical requirement for hold baggage, so I will live out of a rucksack for 2 days. I have a couple of queries regarding what I can carry i.e.

- Razor. I can't sent blades internationally through the postal service, so can I carry a razor with a blade attached?
- Anti-perspirant. It is liquid, especially if I opt for roll-on. Is this allowed?
- Toothpaste - is it allowed?

I guess it's only a couple of days, so nobody should stand on my beard, and I may smell a little, but I'd rather take with me. Any advice would be appreciated.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Hand Baggage - Restrictions

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:38 am I've used hand baggage only for day trips during my working life. Things have changed a lot since then.

On my forthcoming trip to Chiang Mai, there is no logical requirement for hold baggage, so I will live out of a rucksack for 2 days. I have a couple of queries regarding what I can carry i.e.

- Razor. I can't sent blades internationally through the postal service, so can I carry a razor with a blade attached?
- Anti-perspirant. It is liquid, especially if I opt for roll-on. Is this allowed?
- Toothpaste - is it allowed?

I guess it's only a couple of days, so nobody should stand on my beard, and I may smell a little, but I'd rather take with me. Any advice would be appreciated.
Google is your friend.
Although this is from the UK, I think it’s fairly standard practice!!
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restric ... onal-items

Or Thai specific
https://expatlifeinthailand.com/the-ite ... n-a-plane/
buksida

Post by buksida »

You won't be able to carry a razor blade onto a plane.

Why don't you just buy the simple toiletries in the 7-11 when you get there? :idea:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:25 am You won't be able to carry a razor blade onto a plane.

Why don't you just buy the simple toiletries in the 7-11 when you get there? :idea:
Both of the lists that I included say that a disposable razor is allowed?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've had them taken from me twice.

Its too easy just to buy a few bits on arrival than fret about what you can and can't take.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

Any liquids more than 100ml are not allowed. Also toothpaste with more than 100g. I once had a 120g toothpaste which was half empty and it was taken from me.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Take whatever you want/need/and have on hand and if they somehow are denied then you know what to get at the
7-11. Travel sizes are always the best idea and I keep those in my backpack just for that reason. Certainly I've never had a disposable razor taken away. Since this is a domestic flight I would bet against it being much of a thorough search. But what do I know . . . Cheers
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks guys, very helpful. Yes, I had considered Google, but preferred actual experience. Probably 7-11 is the best solution.

I hear what you say centremid, and whilst I accept your advice as logical, and I am probably stupid; having something confiscated, even though I'd expected it, would play on my mind. I'd rather avoid the situation.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've travelled for many years with only hand baggage and always carry toiletries as you require.
You put the liquids and pastes, 100ml each or less into a transparent resealable bag and separate them out for screening. Don't put the disposable razor into that bag as some security guards will take them out, even though they're allowed, put it in the rest of your carry on bag.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Steve.

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ Agree with Steve, although the only place I've come across the re sealable plastic bag bollocks is the UK. Manchester was staffed by particularly pedantic "plastic bag" nazis in relation to the size of the bag only adding to the delays in security. My brother gave me his that he had used on a recent trip which the goon in my line tried to reject. Words were exchanged :banghead:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Have done the HHQ- CNX trip 4 times in the past few months
always have taken, roll on underarm , toothpaste, half empty or thereabouts , no razor, no need for 2 or 3 days
just all put in a plastic bag. no issues at all
though one time a rather overzealous screener / checker almost undid the stitching on someones bag when they found a shampoo bottle. i think it depends on the staff on duty that day
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:16 pmYou put the liquids and pastes, 100ml each or less into a transparent resealable bag
And the containers shall fit comfortably in one transparent 1-litre bag that is completely closed. Don't think you can get away with any size of bag :D
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

No need for these bags whilst travelling around Asia.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.