E-books and e-book readers

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Post by Big Boy »

I think the answers are detailed quite extensively in the Kindle thread. Apologies if I'm wrong.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
joashchee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joashchee »

I haven"t checked the kindle thread, but I"ll throw in my one-stop free solution for all things ebooks, which probably got mentioned someplace too

https://calibre-ebook.com/about

Hope it helps!
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

joashchee wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:09 pm I haven"t checked the kindle thread, but I"ll throw in my one-stop free solution for all things ebooks, which probably got mentioned someplace too

https://calibre-ebook.com/about

Hope it helps!
Absolutely I have used Calibre for years and there is load on the Kindle thread about this.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Thanks all.

Calibre downloaded and now reading how on earth Debbie Harry and Blondie sold 40 million records and ended up in severe debt!

Cheers

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

thecolonel wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:49 pm now reading how on earth Debbie Harry and Blondie sold 40 million records and ended up in severe debt!
Oh, that's a whole new thread!! :shock:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lomuamart

Re: E-books and e-book readers

Post by lomuamart »

Oh no.

The FBI have seized and taken down the Z-Library site. Seems to have happened within the last 24 hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative torrent site that might be able to compare in any way to the above?

Damn. Z-Library was excellent.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ Oh crap! Not nearly as good but try https://libgen.li/index.php
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Nightmare!!

I've just had a quick look at Z-library alternatives - nothing useful...
This is the way
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

lomuamart wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:56 am Oh no.

The FBI have seized and taken down the Z-Library site. Seems to have happened within the last 24 hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative torrent site that might be able to compare in any way to the above?

Did they give a reason?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:08 pm
lomuamart wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:56 am Oh no.

Did they give a reason?
Massive copyright infringement?

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/ip-law/ra ... acy-action
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I tried this just now and it shows books-
(Library Genesis project) Libgen.is
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Must admit that I thought the demise of Z-Library was always in the offing. It was just too good.

I just wasn't expecting to find it gone this morning when I tried to download Cormac McCarthy's latest book.

I had noticed over the months that some new releases were not downloadable as the author hadn't "given permission" but I quickly realised that there was more than one link on the site and without fail, one of them would work.

I don't know much about this but maybe if they still have the data they can play cat and mouse like Pirate Bay has done in the past and register domains in, for instance, Vanatu or Mars? I don't know.

Thanks for the alternative link. I'll give it a try tomorrow as I'm in download mourning right now and need a lot of beer.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

There is a site called Substack, where authors are publishing their work and for a small fee, determined by the author, you can read and download their work.

Many writers are realizing that they don't need big publishers to present their work to the public and most of the subscription fee goes to the authors. A lot of them are making more money, without waiting for corporate accounting, by publishing on Substack, and if not more, at least enough to sustain their lives.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

lomuamart wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:10 pm Must admit that I thought the demise of Z-Library was always in the offing. It was just too good.

I just wasn't expecting to find it gone this morning when I tried to download Cormac McCarthy's latest book.

I had noticed over the months that some new releases were not downloadable as the author hadn't "given permission" but I quickly realised that there was more than one link on the site and without fail, one of them would work.

I don't know much about this but maybe if they still have the data they can play cat and mouse like Pirate Bay has done in the past and register domains in, for instance, Vanatu or Mars? I don't know.

Thanks for the alternative link. I'll give it a try tomorrow as I'm in download mourning right now and need a lot of beer.
I shall be very interested how you get on and if it works as well as Z Library.
I particularly liked ZL when the downloading automatically opened up on My Calibre for Converting to Mobi etc
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:20 pm There is a site called Substack, where authors are publishing their work and for a small fee...
Hmm, when you say 'authors', I presume you mean Bert's memoirs of a trainspotter or Doris's latest heaving-breast romance...?
This is the way