Controversial Britist street artist Banksy in Bangkok

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PeteC

Controversial Britist street artist Banksy in Bangkok

Post by PeteC »

https://thethaiger.com/entertainment-2/ ... in-bangkok

Read/see at link as all visual.

Some may find the painting of Queen Elizabeth disrespectful, but I'm sure it was painted some time ago.

Regardless, when you look at it I think it shows a side of her that was yearning to be free for oh so long, but was being pulled back to her station in life and he captured that, although in a very unconventional way. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Controversial Britist street artist Banksy in Bangkok

Post by PeteC »

Or.......if you look at things in a different way, she has an evil smile and twisted fingers grabbing for the nation's purse.

You decide. That may be the genius of Bansky.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Or.....even another way, her raised fist is black like the original 'Black Power' movement decades ago. "Power to the people/minorities" and she will fund them.

I have no clue about what may be the significance of an 18th century military tunic she's wearing,., or perhaps not 18th century?

The more you look and ponder, the more confused it can become.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I'm sure you could find an image of Freddie Mercury (Queen) in a similar jacket. Or is that too obvious?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pete, I doubt anyone finds that painting disrespectful and I think you are reading far too much into it!

And it's not even by Banksy:

The picture, that has a Freddie Mercury-like figure, wearing his iconic yellow jacket with white trousers, has the face of Queen Elizabeth. Hence, the artist has tried to combine the legends into one person. However, the news that Banksy, the famous British street artist, has created this portrait is not true at all.

In reality, this portrait was made by an artist, Anat Zehavi, who was born and brought up in Tel Aviv, but now resides in the Netherlands. Selling most of her work online on Facebook, she reposted this old painting after the Queen tragically passed away. She first posted this picture with a message that said:

“RIP”
Later, she was more expressive, as the next caption on the picture read:

“Defintely she was a rockstar on her own stage! Its MY Queen! I love her, and that is why I painted her. If you love to have it, visit my shop.”

I'll go and see this show and even loook forward to it. Whether it will change my view of his work is another matter, but I would be happy to be converted. Just by the fact he is having such a show implies he is ready to cash in on his name and that takes away some of the subversive mystique that has made him something of a cult. The anti-establishment always seem to end up in the establishment at some stage.
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

hhinner wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:33 pm I'm sure you could find an image of Freddie Mercury (Queen) in a similar jacket. Or is that too obvious?
Well yes, it is the obvious - the Queen is portrayed as "Freddie Mercury", the true lead singer of Queen (rather than the pretender who now appears). Queen (the group) and Brian May - lead guitarist of Queen have opened many celebrations including the 70th Jubilee.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.