Protection urged for food riders

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Protection urged for food riders

Post by Big Boy »

I think this is a crazy initiative, suggesting offering additional protection measures to some of the worst drivers on Hua Hin's roads. OK, they aren't all bad, but many are. They should spend the money on teaching safer driving.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ood-riders
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Protection urged for food riders

Post by caller »

Have to agree with BB. To see these idiots in the road, one hand and eye on their phone, the other on the road, often crawling along and driving haphazedly, is a pain. Or else they know where they are going and speed along dangerously. That latest 7/11 on 102, on a corner with the large car park has become their rat run, they don't go to the end of the road, but cut across the car park - at speed. There will be a serious accident there soon.
Talk is cheap
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

A lot of the points raised in the article apply to delivery cyclists/motorcyclists worldwide and relate to the usual issue of cutting costs to the bare minimum including earnings and subsequent knock on effect for road safety. In a country with practically zero enforcement of road regulations it can only be expected that when income is dependent on number of deliveries this involves faster speed, cutting corners and unsafe practices. I cannot see anything being done even when rather than if someone is seriously hurt/dies due to their dangerous riding.
The proposals would only produce another layer of bureaucracy that will likely be ignored. Nothing like convening a committee to come up with new proposals and be seen to be doing something with negligible overall effect.
I think it is amazing that there have not been more accidents.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve been in the UK for the past few months and I’d suggest that the volume of food motorcycle delivery drivers is even greater than it is in Thailand and yet I’ve not noticed any particular increase in accident risk, so I believe it’s down to the basics - training and enforcement of traffic rules that keep things manageable.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:19 pm I’ve been in the UK for the past few months and I’d suggest that the volume of food motorcycle delivery drivers is even greater than it is in Thailand and yet I’ve not noticed any particular increase in accident risk, so I believe it’s down to the basics - training and enforcement of traffic rules that keep things manageable.
I would think the sanity in the UK is also down to a livable wage (perhaps Union negotiated) rather than a contest to achieve maximum orders during a shift in order to pay your bills. Without question, the rule of law is also a big part of it. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:26 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:19 pm I’ve been in the UK for the past few months and I’d suggest that the volume of food motorcycle delivery drivers is even greater than it is in Thailand and yet I’ve not noticed any particular increase in accident risk, so I believe it’s down to the basics - training and enforcement of traffic rules that keep things manageable.
I would think the sanity in the UK is also down to a livable wage (perhaps Union negotiated) rather than a contest to achieve maximum orders during a shift in order to pay your bills. Without question, the rule of law is also a big part of it. :cheers:
I very much doubt that there is any union involvement with food delivery drivers, but yes the minimum wage in the UK is about the same per hour as per day in Thailand so there isn’t the same incentive to make quite as many deliveries as possible. :cheers: