Thailand hotel prices and availability post-covid

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
Big Boy

Re: Thailand hotel prices and availability post-covid

Post by Big Boy »

Unless you've been before, I don't see how Facebook or Line can do the same job, please enlighten us.

I wanted to go to Koh Samui, and had decided we wanted to stay in Lamai. Without a dedicated booking service, there is no way I could have seen the vast array of information - OK, I accept the photos are usually 10-20 years old. Most were at prices I was amazed with (a lot of hotel for a little money). However, it was far too much information for me to process, which is why I was looking for recommendations.

Yes, it was frustrating when I'd selected my accomodation, and time after time it had sold out, but without Agoda, I just wouldn't have got that far. So, if it's right, that the likes of Agoda only have access to a limited number of rooms (a very strange business plan, because this can only benefit rival hotels), I agree, the direct approach is then the way to go, but outside of that, when visiting somewhere new a dedicated booking service has to be a great starting point.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:52 am Unless you've been before, I don't see how Facebook or Line can do the same job, please enlighten us.
Just like Google, Facebook has a search function. I don't use it and wouldn't know how but the mrs is very adept. There are also many Thai travel groups and pages for the country highlighting places off the tourist trail.

Covid has battered Agoda's business model as it has done with Airbnb and Booking.com so hotels in Thailand are now primarily marketing to domestic travelers through social media.

Agree, and I would have always gone to Agoda first before covid, but nowadays it shows very limited availability and often higher prices (the room rates actually change while you're searching around the site for hotels and are often more when you pull the trigger to book and they add in all the extras) so it's no longer my go-to accommodation option.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I tried searching on Facebook for 'Lamai Hotels Samui' and got 7 hits, of which one was for flights. Looking at the results (several with the newest post being 4 years old) I'm looking at people in pools and birthday parties. :?

I still say you need prior knowledge of your destination.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Unless you can read and write Thai, you wont get very far on FB - they're marketing in Thai to domestic tourists, not farangs. The deals come up in their 'feeds' if they have joined any of the multitudes of these Thai travel/'bai tiew' FB groups/pages. The Mrs does it all, I'm no longer the booking/research person as I don't use Fayboo.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Hoteliers uneasy over coming long weekends
Hotel operators have voiced mixed feelings over travel sentiment for the two long holidays in July as the spike in Covid-19 infections and oil prices continue to impact tourism.

"Overall sentiment for Hua Hin this month is not as good as April, which recorded 90% occupancy, due to many negative factors, especially rising diesel prices and concerns over the viral situation," said Udom Srimahachota, vice-president of the Thai Hotels Association's (THA) western chapter.

The fuel cost from Bangkok to Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan province previously was 1,300-1,500 baht per trip, but it has increased to 2,300-2,500 baht. Combined with rising living costs, locals are even more price conscious.

The average occupancy rate in Hua Hin during the next holiday on July 13-17 should reach 65-75%, while the occupancy this month is expected at 50-55%.

Hotels currently had only 20-30% advanced booking for the remaining holiday in the final week this month.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/23 ... g-weekends
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Actually, I've been sat going brain numb at the vet most of the morning, and thinking about what you said, I actually came to the same conclusion. It's the same with many things here - look for a product on Shopee or Lazada in English, and you get some return. Do the same enquiry in Thai, and you get 10x as much to choose from. I'll have to get my daughter or daughter-in-law to help me next time, to see if there's any cash to be saved.As I said, I found the Samui prices to be very cheap anyway - it was just the fact they were selling out before I could book :banghead:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:28 am Unless you can read and write Thai, you wont get very far on FB - they're marketing in Thai to domestic tourists, not farangs. The deals come up in their 'feeds' if they have joined any of the multitudes of these Thai travel/'bai tiew' FB groups/pages. The Mrs does it all, I'm no longer the booking/research person as I don't use Fayboo.
And I guess that explains why it is so difficult to find a direct contact phone number to most places, or God forbid, an email address!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Nereus wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:24 pm
buksida wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:28 am Unless you can read and write Thai, you wont get very far on FB - they're marketing in Thai to domestic tourists, not farangs. The deals come up in their 'feeds' if they have joined any of the multitudes of these Thai travel/'bai tiew' FB groups/pages. The Mrs does it all, I'm no longer the booking/research person as I don't use Fayboo.
And I guess that explains why it is so difficult to find a direct contact phone number to most places, or God forbid, an email address!
They weren't used in the 19Th. C., why use them now?
PGS

Post by PGS »

Do the thais believe they can regain lost income during covid, by sky high rates this christmas?
A central hotel that I have been using, wants to have 60k bath for 11 nights over xmas and new year. If I postpone my travel 1 month to january, the cost drops to 12k bath. Cannot remember such a huge difference in price from previous visits. I find it quite annoying, xmas holidays this year will be in january.