Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Electric Cars

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, the Transit van is just a racing concept vehicle with no practical use.
I think these micro cars like the Ami have an attraction in countries where they could replace a scooter as family transport. If you put four people on a scooter, you don't go very fast or far anyway, so a small and cheap electric vehicle would be safer and more weather proof.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I agree with that. I spent a lot of time in Genoa and a tiny Fiat Panda on most of those city streets is too big and was a challenge to navigate around. This Citroen mini would fit the bill for that city and many others there.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:41 am I agree with that. I spent a lot of time in Genoa and a tiny Fiat Panda on most of those city streets is too big and was a challenge to navigate around. This Citroen mini would fit the bill for that city and many others there.
But with all those steep grades I very much doubt you would get 44 miles per charge out of them.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Apparently, statistically the average car worldwide does something like 35km per day and the average journey is about 15km.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There’s obviously a segment in the car world for something like a Citroen Ami, just as there is for a Bugatti Chiron, it won’t appeal to mass audiences but there a sizeable minority for whom it will be perfect - a single older person doing their weekly supermarket run who doesn’t do much other traveling, as an example.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

.....a single older person doing their weekly supermarket run who doesn’t do much other traveling, as an example.
That''s me! And I can assure you that I could neither; get into, OR, out of the bloody thing! :shock:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nereus wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:44 pm
.....a single older person doing their weekly supermarket run who doesn’t do much other traveling, as an example.
That''s me! And I can assure you that I could neither; get into, OR, out of the bloody thing! :shock:
Yes, a golf buggy is much more user friendly for the over 65 crowd. :laugh: :duck:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Whilst it is commendable that something is being planned, again no mention is being made of just how the existing distrubution infrastructure is going to cope with the additional load. This subject has been discussed on here previously, and I am referring to the twisted mass of overhead cables and transformers, rather than the countries generating capacity.
..................................................................................................
Sharge blueprint to equip high-rises with EV chargers

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/23 ... v-chargers

Sharge Management Co, a provider of charging systems for battery-powered vehicles, is expanding its business to serve motorists at high-rise buildings, including condominiums, as the number of electric vehicles (EVs) on the roads increases.

The company is approaching developers of new high-rise buildings and owners of existing skyscrapers without charging facilities, said managing director Peerapatr Sirichantaropart.

The move should help the government develop EV infrastructure under its "30@30" scheme, which was launched in May 2021 to intensify efforts to reduce carbon emissions by 30% by 2030.

To achieve this target, the number of EVs and electric pickups in the country must reach 725,000, the number of electric motorcycles must reach 675,000, and the number of electric buses and trucks must reach 34,000, according to the Energy Policy and Planning Office's website.

This number of vehicles requires at least 200,000 EV charging outlets.

Sharge is also interested in installing charging facilities at low-rise residential buildings and is approaching developers of new projects.

The company launched "Unlock Charge Campaign" for participating real estate developers, which includes free installation of charging outlets.

At present, there are more than 1 million units of new and existing condominiums nationwide, said Mr Peerapatr.

Since the launch of the campaign, many condominium project developers have expressed interest, he said. EV charging facilities have been installed for residents of 300 condo units, said Mr Peerapatr.

Sharge plans to expand the campaign to cover customers at malls, community malls and hotels, he said.

The company expects its charger sales to skyrocket to 20,000 units within five years, up from 250 units last year.

There are 40,000 EVs on the road at present, while there are only 6,000 charging outlets.

If EVs on Thai roads reach 300,000, the number of charging facilities must increase to 100,000 nationwide, according to Sharge.

Mr Peerapatr said 80% of EV chargers are installed at homes, with the remainder installed outdoors to serve motorists while they are on a journey.

Sharge's total revenue in 2025 is expected to reach 3 billion baht.

According to consultancy McKinsey & Company, there are currently 1.7 million EVs globally. This figure is forecast to rise to 8.5 million by 2025.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've definitely seen more electric cars around in the last couple of weeks than there were on my last visit earlier in the year. Plenty of MGs, Havels, ORAs as well as a few Teslas, Porsches and BMWs, so if the infrastructure needs upgrading, they should get on with it now instead of hanging around.
With the amount of construction that goes on in Thailand, the grid must be constantly expanding anyway so surely adding car charging into the equation isn't impossible.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

We have had an EV for just over a year here in the UK.
It’s a KIA SOUL EV First edition 68kwh and we’ve done 22,500 miles in it since new. Mostly local journeys with the odd 270 mile round trip to Heathrow.

We have never charged at public chargers, as we have a 7Kwh charger system at home and we charge overnight on cheap electric (5pence per Kwh) from OctopusEnergy.
I did a rough back of a fag packet calculation on what it has cost to “fuel” the car over the year or so and it works out at 1pence per mile in electric costs.
We didn’t have to pay to have the BP pulse charger installed as it came free with the car and the dealership gets a grant payment to cover some of the costs.
The average cost of installation now is £1K - £1.5k. Although I believe that Government grants are rare now as the criteria has changed on who gets the grant.

Obviously there’s a big upfront cost when purchasing an EV (we paid cash as we never buy cars any other way) as EV’s can be more expensive than ICE cars and insurance is a tad more, but there is no VED to pay, so swings and roundabouts.

We’ll keep it for 2-3 years then sell privately as second hand prices here for EV’s are very high and then try another brand of EV as there are many new models coming onto the market.

Al in all we’re very pleased with it and glad we went electric when we did. We also have a Citreon diesel that has only done 11.5k since we bought it new off CAR WOW and has only done 350 miles in just over a year, mainly because my wife loves the EV and I don’t do much driving these days, so we keep the Citreon as a spare car, just in case we need two cars.

Is there much of an EV infrastructure in Thailand? I’ve not really been following it there.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Khundon1975, you don’t have to read very far back to realise that the infrastructure in Thailand is lagging somewhat but hopefully that will improve, however as you have found in the UK, a 7KW home charger is sufficient most of the time, the only drawback in Thailand is there is no cheap off-peak electricity available.

As for EV cars, I can fully appreciate why you and your wife prefer driving one compared to an ICE car - in Thailand I drive a PHEV and manage most of my journeys in EV mode and find it much more relaxing.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Yes I should read back in the thread a bit, my bad. :(

I’m lucky as regards to electric prices as I signed up for cheap overnight electric from OctopusEnergy back in May 21 when we got the car and my tariff is 5pp Kwh for 4 hours overnight, 13.75 pp Kwh day rate with 24pp day standing charge. That was due to rocket in May this year, but they were late in contacting me so they rolled my tariff over for another year at the above rates.
Prices here have rocketed up and many EV owners and all other customers are paying huge prices now.

As I don’t use any outside chargers I’ve no experience on the infrastructure here, however, many EV forums on the web are full of complaints on the lack of chargers and the many companies failure to repair them when they are broken. I suspect the same problem may exist in Thailand.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:22 pm the only drawback in Thailand is there is no cheap off-peak electricity available.
Not sure that's true. Both the MEA and PEA tariffs show peak and off peak rates.
Attachments
Screenshot_2022_0712_112107.png
Screenshot_2022_0712_112107.png (147.96 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Screenshot_2022_0712_111428.png
Screenshot_2022_0712_111428.png (136.34 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Not sure that's true. Both the MEA and PEA tariffs show peak and off peak rates.
I think that you will find that those off peak rates only apply to consumers with their own HV transformers.
Or in some cases: "Mates rates"!