Renewing a UK passport in Thailand

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Renewing a UK passport in Thailand

Post by hhinner »

hhinner wrote:
buksida wrote:
hhinner wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:28 pm You won't be without your passport any longer than it takes the agent to make the application. As it says in the ad the passport will be returned after application and needed again for cancellation when the new passport is collected.
Completely different from my experiences when the passport itself is sent away, leaving you without one for the duration (this was my son's so it didn't matter, but a friend also did the same thing with the same agent in March). They send you both the new and the old back via DHL.

Keeping the passport may be an option if you physically go to Bangkok yourself, I've only ever done the agent route because we live so far away and it would involve an overnight stay on top adding to the overall time/$$$.
I assume the agent you used kept the passport for later cancellation and returned it with the new one. VFS return the passport after checking it. The agency in the ad thecolonel referred to is in HH so should be easy enough to get the passport from them if necessary.
Interesting: the quoted post is different to the one I thought I answered. Anyway, the comment about this agent being in HH still stands.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

But you dont mention how long the process took in total?
How long did you wait for new passport(albeit 2 years ago)?
I will now assume they gave you back the current one on that first visit and you had to return for new one X weeks later to cancel original
Back then, and it was October 2020 plus after Covid had started, it was 8-9 weeks, which is fair enough.

They do indeed give you the old passport back and you have to use it to collect the new one and then, at that time, they snip the corners off to cancel it. Yes, they give it you back because they know being without a passport here is not a great idea.

However, they will want a photocopy of every page, including blank pages... absolutely every page, and I even photocopied the covers and emergency info pages just to be sure.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:35 pm
buksida wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:11 pm It will be quicker obviously, but there are still the same delays and staff shortage issues - the problems are in the UK, not Thailand. We've been waiting 2 months for a tourist visa approval decision. :banghead:
ok, have messaged family/friends in UK for update on current situation there
Not sure asking friends in the UK will help that much but a simple Google search shows the cost of a Premium Service to get a passport quickly - takes away the anxiety but not cheap though!!
https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgen ... um-service
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

An interesting statement after (I think it was) spitfire said they are pretty anal about the photo:
a device that takes digital photos (like a smartphone, tablet or digital camera) and someone to take your photo
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Your new passport requires a letter of authenticity from the MFA. KeyVisa did that for you.

It was certainly the case 18 months ago but..... rules change.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:42 pm Your new passport requires a letter of authenticity from the MFA. KeyVisa did that for you.

Interesting, I didn't need that, and looks like we renewed at a similar time. Maybe the authenticity letter from the MFA is a requirement if you don't rock up in person and have an agency do it... but as you say, requirements can change quickly on such fronts.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It was originally required by immigration in order for them to transfer the relevant stamps to your new passport.
I honestly can't remember whether immigration asked for it at that time. I tend to put all the documents in a folder and hand over the lot. Some they keep and some they give back to me.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:42 pm Your new passport requires a letter of authenticity from the MFA. KeyVisa did that for you.

I've done a couple passports with Key Visa. I didn't need anything from MFA. I did need the Embassy letter requesting transfer of visa details.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Key Visa do it for you automatically. They included a letter on MFA paper verifying that the new passport is 'real'.

If you look back, maybe the 'Embassy Letter' you refer to is rubber stamped by the MFA.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The Embassy letter had little more than a signature and a load of blanks that I had to complete myself.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thinking out loud. I may be wrong and you're probably right. I do seem to remember years ago when you applied via Hong Kong that it had to be validated by the MFA. It could be that it's just stuck in my head since then.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It may be different for UK passports, but a new Australian passport 2 years ago did not require any letter.
The Embassy in Bangkok put a stamp in the old one which had empty spaces that I had to fill in when I received the new one. The old one was cancelled and given back to me on the day that I submitted the application for the new one.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Coming up to 6 weeks(Friday) for my renewal with Key Visa. On 2nd June I got an e mail from the passport office informing me that my passport had been forwarded. I sent an enquiry to Darren and he said should be ready in 3 weeks,24th June. Fingers crossed. Will update about visa transfer when I can.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpdkWqXeAM.jpg
phpdkWqXeAM.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 807 times
That little symbol at the bottom indicates that a chip is installed beneath, which probably contains more info about you than your Mother knows. If these immigration offices had a reader (like all Thai gateway airports do) there wouldn't be a need for any letter.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Apologies for confusion I caused.

Years ago, the British Embassy washed their hands of anything to do with passports. The only place to renew was a visa agent in Hong Kong. That was probably the reason that Thai immigration needed validation from the MFA.
I gather from the above posts that the UKVisa office in Trendy building automatically get the validation letter from the British Embassy otherwise it would be another task for Brits.
Personally, I don't even know where the British Embassy is now.