The Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Re: The Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency Thread

Post by Henry 14th »

Spitfire wrote:Pretty gloomy on the market front yesterday/today, lots of altcoins not really knowing what to do after a downward trend yesterday. A lot of the gains from the last week or so could easily be lost and we could be headed for support levels from mid May if we are not careful. Although, if that happens (and it's a big if), then I've got my limit orders in... just in case.
It’s times like this that the safest bets are the ones to hold. Moving ETH over to BTC for now, weekly outflows are way too high and have been for most of the year. The merge date remains highly uncertain, it’s bleeding against BTC and whilst these conditions exist it’s only going to drip further IMO.

BTC will as always front run everything else, and at current levels discounted from the ATH, it remains as good a bargain as anything else out there with a risk/reward perspective….anything else is a speculation.

Best of luck, and credit to you for hanging in there while others get the hell out of dodge, I don’t think we are yet close to running upwards anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Yeah man, what you say has good relevance. Although, if it hits that low, then I'll take a chance and buy... just what I can afford to lose though.
You know how it is... might work, might be a fail, ha ha. Not an exact science but nothing ventured, then nothing gained. I only invest what I can afford to lose and it is always a lesson... win or lose.
However, you are right... patience is a good thing and this escapes many as the temptation to make a quick buck and be a "day trader" is strong.
I suppose that doing your research and due diligence is very important etc. but eventually you have to take the plunge and buy/sell... only then you get the experience and slowly get experienced, even if it costs you. The price of becoming experienced is often fcuking up... just have to be able to stand it.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

After 18 yrs. in the market, I sold everything the day before the market fell 1100 points. I got lucky this time. The last time the market fell, in 2010, I lost a lot but then, because I was working, I could afford it. Being in retirement, I couldn't gamble and got out. I plan to invest in the Jasmine fund. A 9% a yr. dividend will be fine. I feel better not watching the market boil and bubble.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I don't day trade so all of my crypto investments are longer-term, many of which were picked up in the previous bear market in 2018 and then sold in late 2021 so it has to go down a lot more before there is a real need to worry.

Bear markets last a lot longer than bulls, the last one was 18 months so this could go on until mid-2023 (year before the next BTC halving) before any major trend reversal. Additionally, the last two bear markets were 80%+ corrections and this one has been around 60% so far so there's likely to be more pain ahead.

Plenty of time to snap up some bargains before the next market cycle. Do plenty of research and don't put in more than you can afford to lose.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Bitcoin seems to be stable at around $30k just now but some nice small waves for day-trading.
Hopefully it has reached the trough though as I’m around 15% in the red on my last purchase before the last big slump a month ago.

Last edited by Ginjaninja on Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Be careful and keep those stop losses active - capitulation wick incoming!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

buksida wrote:Be careful and keep those stop losses active - capitulation wick incoming!
Agreed, definitely another significant flush out on the horizon….how significant remains to be seen but I think there are decent buying opportunities around the corner….$23k is where I’ll consider, if it doesn’t go so low then so be it, if I goes much lower I still think $23k levels are a bargain.

Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I do keep tabs on the markets everyday and read the crypto news about what's going on and upcoming events like hardforks etc. or whales pulling out/piling in and watching for the "pump & dump" stuff on random coins, need to be careful.
Agree with Ginjaninja about catching small waves of various coins but the stars have to align on all the technical stuff like MA, RSI, resistance levels etc. indicators and then I'll take a chance. If I can catch a wave or two and make loose change everyday or couple of days or so, then it soon adds up and can help pay your mortgage every month (I'm still young enough to have one, ha ha).
Obviously, you lose as well but if you are not too rash, then usually can end up ahead each month. If you can catch small waves and make like 10-30 bucks a pop/day and you are only risking, say 300-500 ADA or other altcoin that is a similar price, then seems OK. Guess the trick is to not be greedy and just bail once some small profit has been made... sometimes it goes up further, sometimes comes straight back down. If it heads down again after buying then bail once you reach your tolerance levels for a loss and chalk it up to experience and you don't lose too much.
There seems also to be patterns that can help too, like market behaviour when certain markets open in the West (like the US or UK) and times of the week to buy like Sunday or Monday morning here (or not buying later in the week too much)... nothing guaranteed, but if it's a go on everything and feels reasonable, then I'll take a chance.
I'm monitoring ADA (Cardano) at the moment to see what happens as there is that Vasil hardfork that they started testing on the 2nd June but will release on the 29th, so could be an opportunity later this month... also that ETH one too soon about them turning into proof-of-stake and that could drag other coins up. Also find Rose coin good for practice as it swings a lot but is really cheap, so no big drama whatever happens. I do set limit orders, but usually only for really low prices that match the resistance level for the last month or so... just in case, never know when it might take a huge plunge like ADA found resistance recently at 0.45 and is today about 0.6 having tumbled a bit the last few days.
However, on the flip-side to that, research indicates lots of coins are suffering from the FED being more hawkish on interest rates and that means less liquidity in general for people/institutions to splash on stuff like crypto and could be a reason behind the current bearish markets... but then again, could be other stuff as well.
Not for the faint-hearted though and caution is wise, true... as with all things here, only risk what can be walked away from. I'm not so into buying and hold, far too nerve-racking unless you bought them for peanuts a few years ago, like mentioned by others.
:cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I believe there's another 15-20% minimum to come off bitcoin and the larger of the altcoins. Other smaller altcoins... well that's anyone's guess. If Luna can shed all of its worth almost overnight, so can the rest. Day trading can still bring in some pocket money of course.

I also believe we're galloping into a massive recession. All the signs point to it, just noone seems to be saying it.

I'm also fun at parties. :wink:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I'll wait and see - there's been huge drops and rises before, the same will happen again I'm pretty sure.

Never invested a great deal, and haven't lost anything in real terms.... Could have made money if I'd pulled out earlier though!! :roll: :banghead:

My UK and Private Pension has dropped a damned sight further though!! I wonder what investments they are into?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The capitulation may be beginning this weekend, total market cap down to its lowest level since Feb, '21. Time to go shopping soon!
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Less than favorable inflation news yesterday, I think next week could be rough out there. $23k BTC is my shopping spree.

Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Been a bit of a sell-off since yesterday morning with price plunging on quite a few coins, and yeah, inflation policy could interject soon too.
I've caught my waves for today so will just grab a beer now and see what happens for the rest of the weekend... although Sunday can be a good day to pick up a bargain or two in time the possible Monday surge, so I'll see where it stands tomorrow.
If BTC price falls as far as you mention, then I'll be up for a buy and hold job too and that will also mean altcoins following suite, pretty much.
buksida

Post by buksida »

ETH prices are starting to look tasty, its almost down to its previous high - but of course, it will follow what big brother does.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

B.C. dropped past my stop-loss. $3k loss!!
B*gg*r.