2022 Entertainment Deaths

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

2022 Entertainment Deaths

Post by sateeb »

Post here if you wish those that pass on during 2022.

Meat Loaf: Bat Out Of Hell singer dies at 74

Meat Loaf, the singer whose Bat Out Of Hell album is one of the best-selling of all time, has died at the age of 74.

The news was confirmed on the star's Facebook page by his family.

"Our hearts are broken to announce that the incomparable Meat Loaf passed away tonight with his wife Deborah by his side," a message read.

The Bat Out of Hell star sold 100 million albums worldwide and appeared in movies like Fight Club, the Rocky Horror Picture Show and Wayne's World.

Full story BBC News
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Re: 2022 Entertainment Deaths

Post by pharvey »

Sad news indeed - truly did enjoy his music, with the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" being my first introduction to him (unfortunately not in person!).

Brought joy to many millions worldwide - R.I.P. Sir...
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Indeed, I nearly wore out my vinyl copy of "Bat Out Of Hell" in the late 70's. Interestingly Jim Steinman who produced the the album died in April last year, this is what Mr Loaf said at the time....

“We belonged heart and soul to each other – we didn't know each other, we were each other,” Meat Loaf said after Steinman's death last year. “I don't want to die, but I may die this year because of Jim.”

He was 20 days out.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s being reported that he died from or contributed to by Covid - apparently he was very much against enforced vaccinations and mask wearing
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

_123676312_b9638d44-b424-4f6a-bd85-91cff78ad38e.jpg
_123676312_b9638d44-b424-4f6a-bd85-91cff78ad38e.jpg (56.62 KiB) Viewed 151 times
William Hurt, the Oscar-winning US actor whose roles ranged from acclaimed 1980s dramas to Marvel films, has died at the age of 71, US media say.

Hurt won the best actor Oscar in 1986 for playing a prisoner in a Brazilian jail in Kiss of the Spider Woman.

He was nominated two more times in the next two years, for Children of a Lesser God and Broadcast News.

In recent years, he has been known as General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross in five Marvel blockbusters.

He starred in one of my favourite 80's movie "Body Heat"

― George Carlin
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Irish singer-songwriter Pete St. John passed away on Saturday aged 90, and there was a fitting rendition of probably his best-known song at Twickenham that day as Ireland were victorious. A lovely man who wrote simple, memorable songs with meaningful lyrics which quickly became part of the classic Irish songbook. RIP - Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 40923.html

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Taylor Hawkins, Foo Fighters drummer dead at 50. Hard seat to follow after Nirvanas Dave Grohl.

The drummer with US rock group Foo Fighters, Taylor Hawkins, has died aged 50, the band have announced.

The band said they were "devastated by the tragic and untimely loss" in a statement on social media. No cause of death has been given.

Hawkins played with Foo Fighters for more than two decades, joining shortly after they finished making their 1997 album The Colour and the Shape.

The band are currently on tour in South America.

"His musical spirit and infectious laughter will live with us forever," Foo Fighters wrote.

"Our hearts go out to his wife, children, and family, and we ask that their privacy be treated with the utmost respect in this unimaginably difficult time."

Foo Fighters were formed in 1994 by Dave Grohl, after his previous group Nirvana disbanded following the suicide of lead singer Kurt Cobain.

While Grohl drummed for Nirvana, he took on lead vocals and guitar in Foo Fighters, and so Hawkins had the daunting task of drumming in a group founded by one of the most celebrated drummers in rock.

"I was a little nervous at first, but I got over that," he told OC Weekly soon after joining.

"Any instance where you're auditioning for something, you're going to be nervous. But no-one can play better than Dave Grohl. He just has this vision in his head."

The two sometimes swapped roles during the band's concerts, with Hawkins taking on vocals. After news of his death was announced many fans shared clips of him singing Queen's Somebody to Love.

Before joining Foo Fighters, Hawkins drummed for Alanis Morissette.

While visiting London in 2001, he took an overdose of heroin and spent two weeks in a coma.

Speaking about the experience in 2018, he said it had been "a real changing point for me".

BBC News

― George Carlin