Personalised Number Plates

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Personalised Number Plates

Post by Big Boy »

In a country where they are considering increasing the minimum daily wage to 492฿, I consider this to be obscene.

Personalised car plates start at ฿1m

Personalised vehicle number plates are set to make their debut in Thailand with a starting price of one million baht in an auction to kick off the money-making drive, says the Department of Land Transport.

The announcement was published in the Royal Gazette after a related regulation was approved by the cabinet allowing a new style of number plates for vehicles with seven seats or less.

The announcement pertains to a new acceptable arrangement of Thai letters and Arabic numerals on special vehicle number plates sold through auction. It also specifies the details of the auctions themselves.

The new plate allows more than two Thai letters, which can form a word, followed by a four-digit Arabic number to be embossed on a special plate.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... art-at-b1m
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Personalised Number Plates

Post by HHTel »

Another money-making scheme. Popular numbers are already sold by the Dept of Transport for ridiculous prices.
The new plate allows more than two Thai letters, which can form a word,
Which of course only a Thai will understand. Ok, that's the whole population!

Does anyone care?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It is of course popular in many countries, in the UK very rare numbers have reached half a million £’s and in America considerably more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

California back in the 80's, and probably before, personalized was free if what you wanted was available. I say free as I don't remember any exorbitant extra cost, maybe it was a few dollars. I got my 3 initials and the number 1 on just about every car I owned there. Migrant may be more up to speed on how it is now.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But using Roman lettering it's recognised across many countries attracting foreigners alike. Not so with Thai number plates. But the English language speakers in Thailand is very small.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I still think it's obscene, in a country where there is sooooo much poverty, somebody with more money than sense can rub their wealth into a population whose daily earings hasn't achieved 1/2000th (nearer 1/3000th if the proposed wage rise doesn't happen) of the cost of their car registration plate. It is mindless snobbery.

Mind you, come the revolution I guess having such a sign of wealth will be like having a target tattooed on your forehead.

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

PeteC wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:05 pm California back in the 80's, and probably before, personalized was free if what you wanted was available. I say free as I don't remember any exorbitant extra cost, maybe it was a few dollars. I got my 3 initials and the number 1 on just about every car I owned there. Migrant may be more up to speed on how it is now.
To be honest I have never looked into it.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:22 pm I still think it's obscene, in a country where there is sooooo much poverty, somebody with more money than sense can rub their wealth into a population whose daily earings hasn't achieved 1/2000th (nearer 1/3000th if the proposed wage rise doesn't happen) of the cost of their car registration plate. It is mindless snobbery.

Mind you, come the revolution I guess having such a sign of wealth will be like having a target tattooed on your forehead.
Why obscene ? Are you jealous, frustrated ? Rich people have the right to enjoy. Is it obscene to drive a Lamborghini ? They paid with their own money. It's obscene to buy submarines and F-35 fighter jets by the army, when people lost their jobs and don't get compensations.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I have never been jealous of wealth. I've always been happy so long as I got a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. I've always worried about number 1. I grew up in a very community, but I never flashed my money in the faces of my neighbours - that would have most definitely seen our house regularly broken into.

The people of Thailand are really suffering in the wake of Covid, and money is scarce. My son alone went 16 weeks with absolutely no income last year, not because he's a lazy git, but because the Government would not allow it. Many Thais are much worse off.

If people start wasting huge amounts on worthless number plates, it could be seen as a kick in teeth for many. At least if you pay for a Lamborghini . you will get something worthwhile, not a worthless piece of tin with a couple letters and numbers on it.

Points 48; Position 20
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

They are just "wankers "
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:10 pm I have never been jealous of wealth. I've always been happy so long as I got a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. I've always worried about number 1. I grew up in a very community, but I never flashed my money in the faces of my neighbours - that would have most definitely seen our house regularly broken into.

The people of Thailand are really suffering in the wake of Covid, and money is scarce. My son alone went 16 weeks with absolutely no income last year, not because he's a lazy git, but because the Government would not allow it. Many Thais are much worse off.

If people start wasting huge amounts on worthless number plates, it could be seen as a kick in teeth for many. At least if you pay for a Lamborghini . you will get something worthwhile, not a worthless piece of tin with a couple letters and numbers on it.
Let people enjoy even with a piece of tin, as long a they don't take your money. As I said obscene is the army who wants to buy submarines and F-35 fighter jets.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Many things in Thailand are obscece, but the ignorance of the offspring of the filthy rich is up there as amongst the worse. The turds will buy things like this just to impress there mates. Nothing else matters.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Unfortunately this is the same, the world over - possibly the only real difference is that the gap between the rich and the poor is bigger here?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

You can already get personalized number plates. I have seen an MV Augusta with a plate "some Thai text then 1"
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It's good to have something important to rant about, but this isn't it.\

For the first time, I agree with Europtimist.

If it's not my money being spent, I don't give a damn.

All my wife's friends are hi-so's but nothing they do has any effect on us at all. No matter how much money they spend on whatever they spend it on changes anything in our lives.