Are 80s and 90s music considered Oldies by now?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Are 80s and 90s music considered Oldies by now?

Post by The understudy »

Good evening from Berlin, Germany

The understudy has an important question to Y‘all music lovers out there in Hua Hin & Beyond.
Are 80s and 90s music considered as Oldies by now?
Since I‘m stuck here in Berlin from early 2020 til now I‘ve been listening to this local Radio Station RBB 88.8 which previously played German Pop so called “Schlager” music but since 2019 It changed their music branding the Station as “RBB 88.8 playing music from the 80’s, 90s, 100% Berlin and MTV Germany started there music only program called “MTV Back for Good” where they play Music Videos from the 90s in August 2020 from 0:00 to 20:00 than the reality shows start then from September of 2020 until today from 15:00 to 19:30, Airing MTV back for Good.
Also another Trend I had been observing here in Europe and German even prior before COVID-19 I’ve notice the the rise of 80s and 90s Parties on any given Weekend. During the Pandemic these Parties shifted from clubs and event venues to online mass Zoom evens with hundreds to thousands of participants. Dancing and grooving to Oldies from the 80s and 90s if we can call music from that time as Oldies,

Yours The understudy!!!!!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Are 80s and 90s music considered Oldies by now?

Post by lindosfan1 »

Depends on your age, for me my favourite oldies are the 50's and 60's possibly early 70's. :cheers:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Born in the late 50's so I only became musically aware in the mid 60's and it wasn't until '71 that I bought my first single(Get It On) T Rex. For me the 80's was a musical wasteland dominated by the stable of Stock, Aitken and Waterman's repetitive dross, although some of the new wave bands out of Scouseland were decent, OMD, Flock Of Seagulls and Echo and The Bunnymen.
Most of the music in my library is from the 90's and 2000's. Alt rock and modern folk and southern rock.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I grew up with 80s music, being born in the 70s. At the time I loved it - never forget sitting there on Sunday afternoons listening to the top 40 with my finger poised over rec/play buttons on a cassette recorder so that I could record my favourite songs at the time and try and edit out the DJ.

Nowadays, I don't listen to much 80s stuff aside from the odd band and prefer earlier blues/rock/reggae and more 90s/2000s music. My definition of 'oldies' would be stuff from the 60s and 70s.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:24 am I grew up with 80s music, being born in the 70s. At the time I loved it - never forget sitting there on Sunday afternoons listening to the top 40 with my finger poised over rec/play buttons on a cassette recorder so that I could record my favourite songs at the time and try and edit out the DJ.
Absolutely, though born a smidgen earlier (with more firework experience I must add, as I still blame you).

These days, there's a radio station in the UK (Bristol) and of course available on the Internet which suits me fine!! SAM FM BRISTOL (106.5).
Mix of music, but lot's of 80's/90's rock....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Good afternoon Y’All in Hua Hin Lovers out there.

I was born in 1979 technically I’m a 70s Kid but I associate myself music wise with 80s and 90s music. Now I’m in my early on the verge to mid 40s and I’m kinda surprised that the music I grown up with as a kid and as a Teen in the 90s are now considered as old but gladly not vintage. Many Germans consider the 80s as their favorite decade. Where the world was still somewhat ok and all right. Where childhood playing outside and little mom an pop stores where common. In the early part of the 90s I was great involved in Video games and participated in the great console Wars between Nintendo and Sega.music wise I was all over the place mainly staying in the Euro pop genre Than I fell in love for the first time in 95. Which had awaken my lifelong interest in the opposite sex. My music taste Chanced as well from the shallow euro pop to American Hip Hop and Rap and mainly Rhythm & Soul. Toni Braxton, Boys 2 Men, New Edition, All 4 One you name it I was all the Soul type of guy. In 97/98 there was this Band called Sublime with their psychedelic Rock/Reggae good vibration music which fitted the bands motto for their time. Google it and listen to their Album 40. Ounces of Freedom that y’all should know about the Band Sublime. In late 1999 I entered Stamford U. Hua Hin Campus felt in love with hem City & Bevond.

Yours The understudy!!!!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”