A Covid Message From Hua Hin Forum

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

A Covid Message From Hua Hin Forum

Post by Lev »

This message is to serve as a reminder to forum users why we are here and what we are trying to achieve. We realize that the world is in turmoil at the moment and people are more stressed than usual due to the global pandemic.

However, this forum is provided in good faith at zero cost to members and readers. It is also suffering at the moment, currently running at a net loss with more expenses than income (which is virtually zero). This is unsustainable.

The active moderators (and some members) tirelessly collate stats and data for zero recompense, volunteering their time so you can get the information you're looking for in a timely and organized fashion. What they should not have to tolerate is being abused or stalked by other members because they don't like how this forum or the data is managed.

We realize that the majority of members are generally kindhearted souls that want to help others, but have also come to recognize a small faction of people with chips on their shoulders that want to constantly snipe at our policies and harangue other users. We have a very basic set of forum rules that has hardly changed in two decades, we don’t expect them to be dissected or be subjected to abuse by those that disagree with them.

We also know that some have set up second accounts for the purpose of trolling. None of this is really necessary on such a small forum (and is against those rules that were agreed upon when registering) ... so please refrain.

We truly sympathize with those suffering during this unprecedented pandemic, but HHF and its moderators will not be your punch bags ... this is not Facebook.

We provide channels for members to contact us with their complaints or suggestions on improvement, but there are some that would just prefer to continually publically critique and deride what we are trying to achieve here from behind their shields of online anonymity. Our mission has always been to foster a friendly place to find information, share stories, and ask questions – a place that people can rely on during difficult times. We do not enjoy or want to ban anyone and never have, but sometimes our hands are forced.

So please let’s keep HHF a civil and welcoming place because we want to keep it online. If it becomes too much aggravation for the owners and moderators, it will not be a difficult decision to close it permanently under the current circumstances.

Thank you for your consideration.

(We will leave this topic open … until it turns into a stream of diatribe, so let's try to stay positive. Abusive comments will be deleted).
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: A Covid Message From Hua Hin Forum

Post by dtaai-maai »

I've always thought the tit for tat 'no link to rival sites' policy a bit daft, and there has been an occasional reference to it over the years. I actually joined the 'other' forum as a direct result of that policy. That must have been about 12-13 years ago :shock: ... It was a complete jumble of mutual slanging matches and abuse, and I took one look and have never been back.

That said, I've never got my knickers in a twist over the issue, and I agree with the rule concerning raising complaints by PM.

There was a period a number of years ago when one or two forum members had strong views on some controversial current affairs/conspiracy theory issues over which the arguments back and forth often got out of hand (guilty, milud... :oops: ). This kept the mods extremely busy and led, IIRC, to the creation of a separate subforum, or perhaps it was the removal of Current Affairs from the popular/busy thread highlight (which seems to have disappeared anyway), and to several suspensions/bannings. Members who have joined more recently will be unaware of these goings on.

Thailightzone was out of order with the tone of his rant and would have merited a good spanking if corporal punishment were still acceptable. My personal opinion is that the point has been made and that he should be reinstated, or his suspension reduced to a few days, with a warning.

Regular posters and long-standing members enjoy the forum and appreciate the work put in by admin and the moderators. I don't live in Thailand any more, but I still follow things closely, and I see it as a social gathering place with plenty of friendly banter as well as a source of information for locals and others. I hope it continues to thrive.

:cheers: :cheers:
This is the way
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:17 pm I've always thought the tit for tat 'no link to rival sites' policy a bit daft, and there has been an occasional reference to it over the years. I actually joined the 'other' forum as a direct result of that policy. That must have been about 12-13 years ago :shock: ... It was a complete jumble of mutual slanging matches and abuse, and I took one look and have never been back.

That said, I've never got my knickers in a twist over the issue, and I agree with the rule concerning raising complaints by PM.

There was a period a number of years ago when one or two forum members had strong views on some controversial current affairs/conspiracy theory issues over which the arguments back and forth often got out of hand (guilty, milud... :oops: ). This kept the mods extremely busy and led, IIRC, to the creation of a separate subforum, or perhaps it was the removal of Current Affairs from the popular/busy thread highlight (which seems to have disappeared anyway), and to several suspensions/bannings. Members who have joined more recently will be unaware of these goings on.

Thailightzone was out of order with the tone of his rant and would have merited a good spanking if corporal punishment were still acceptable. My personal opinion is that the point has been made and that he should be reinstated, or his suspension reduced to a few days, with a warning.

Regular posters and long-standing members enjoy the forum and appreciate the work put in by admin and the moderators. I don't live in Thailand any more, but I still follow things closely, and I see it as a social gathering place with plenty of friendly banter as well as a source of information for locals and others. I hope it continues to thrive.

:cheers: :cheers:
Totally agree with that, the moderators do a grand job, we should be grateful.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The vast majority (and even the dissenters most of the time) are what makes the Forum what it is - an invaluable source of information both Thai and non Thai. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve asked “where can I….” And usually the response is positive - i try to do likewise.

The Moderators do a fantastic job of trying to keep everything on track, for which we should all be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

As a newbie to the forum, i can only thank every one who has contributed so much valuable and insightful information, particularly these past 15 or so Covid months
as with any forum there is always "that element " who basically are at war with the world.
We are Sandboxing in Phuket for another 11 days before travelling up to our new home in Pranburi, so i hope i can at least repay the forum with anything useful i can contribute .
All the work and effort is greatly appreciated..
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Thanks for the messages of positivity, but as requested, please use the proper channels for suggestions on forum management or objections to current policy.