Lotus's Cha-am Opening

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
Taf in Cha-am
Rookie
Rookie

Lotus's Cha-am Opening

Post by Taf in Cha-am »

I'm a longtime visitor and property owner in Cha-am since last year. I saw the article linked below about the opening of a new Lotus's mall in Cha-am.

Thoughts? Insights? The article mentions some of the pros and cons, but I thought I'd seek local insights as a wait to be able to make another in-person visit to the area.

Link here: https://royalcoastreview.com/2021/07/it ... his-month/
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Lotus's Cha-am Opening

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well the article hits the nail on the head - Cha Am lacks anything resembling a shopping mall with only the Makro food outlet, although that’s a lot smaller than the one in Hua Hin. Other than traffic congestion, I’m sure it will prove popular with most locals!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Funny thing, I actually spotted the new Lotus's on my way North early this morning, but everybody in the car looked out for it on the way back just now, but we couldn't see it on the way home. I guess it's well hidden travelling South.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s just before the Shell petrol station heading towards the traffic lights - there may also be an entrance from the road at the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is that the Northern side of the lights then? We started looking out for it from the lights going South :oops:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

You’d already gone past it then - it’s about 100m before the lights heading towards HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DTHH

Post by DTHH »

Has shot up in the past fortnight and sign now advertises opening 23rd July, so 2 weeks today.
Very handy for me, a two-minute walk at most, and yes Dannie Boy that would be from a back entrance on Sri Sakul Thai Road.
Last edited by DTHH on Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Can anyone explain the 's on the end of the name? I'm sure it doesn't mean anything in Thai because it is written in English. Does it mean something in Thai phonetically? Did they simply not consult an English speaker when rebranding?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Stands for "smart" apparently. You can pronounce it the Thai way anyway - Lotut.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Did they simply not consult an English speaker when rebranding?
Got it in one!

Certainly in the UK we tend to add an 's'. Tesco "I'm off to Tesco's". Woolworth "Off to Woolworth's". M & S "Off to Marks and Spencer's" and so on. I'm sure that's what they were trying to copy but didn't quite understand. So when asked, the only answer they could make up is "The second S stands for Smart" which actually shows how 'not smart' they are!

The ('s) is used in the belonging sense. e.g. Tesco "I'm off to Tesco's [store]"
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:50 pm
Did they simply not consult an English speaker when rebranding?
Got it in one!

Certainly in the UK we tend to add an 's'. Tesco "I'm off to Tesco's". Woolworth "Off to Woolworth's". M & S "Off to Marks and Spencer's" and so on. I'm sure that's what they were trying to copy but didn't quite understand. So when asked, the only answer they could make up is "The second S stands for Smart" which actually shows how 'not smart' they are!

The ('s) is used in the belonging sense. e.g. Tesco "I'm off to Tesco's [store]"
Ah, yes. HHTel this explanation I can understand.

But you would imagine the CP Group, being one of the largest corporations in Thailand, would be full of internationally educated corporate soldiers. These brandings going through a multitude of reviews these days. I just find it weird.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thailightzone wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:34 am But you would imagine the CP Group, being one of the largest corporations in Thailand, would be full of internationally educated corporate soldiers. These brandings going through a multitude of reviews these days. I just find it weird.
It doesn't surprise me at all. We've all seen examples of Tinglish over the years. I realise it's a different level, but I remember many years ago seeing a large sign in the seafood section of Lotus advertising "SEA PRAMS"...

It would be so easy to double check these things with a friendly farang or, whisper it softly, a farang employed for the purpose, but it never seems to happen.
This is the way
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:45 am
Thailightzone wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:34 am But you would imagine the CP Group, being one of the largest corporations in Thailand, would be full of internationally educated corporate soldiers. These brandings going through a multitude of reviews these days. I just find it weird.
It doesn't surprise me at all. We've all seen examples of Tinglish over the years. I realise it's a different level, but I remember many years ago seeing a large sign in the seafood section of Lotus advertising "SEA PRAMS"...

It would be so easy to double check these things with a friendly farang or, whisper it softly, a farang employed for the purpose, but it never seems to happen.
If a Thai doesn't know they can't ask or they will lose face.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Tried to visit this morning - an employee advised store opening has been postponed until Sunday 22nd August.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I guess that's not a surprise. It could have been the Grand Opening...and no one came. :shock:... given the current Covid restrictions.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source