RIP John McAfee

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

RIP John McAfee

Post by buksida »

Remembering John McAfee: Computer programmer and crypto evangelist dead at 75
According to a report from Spanish international news agency EFE, John McAfee was found dead in his prison cell at the Brians 2 Penitentiary Center on Wednesday.

Born in 1945, McAfee founded the software company McAfee Associates in his early forties. His company was responsible for one of the most well-known antivirus software programs at the time. He resigned from the company in 1994 and went on to found software firm Tribal Voice — which was behind one of the internet’s first instant message and chat programs — as well as technology company QuorumEx and security and privacy company Future Tense Central.

McAfee made headlines in the crypto space and mainstream media for a July 2017 prediction that the price of Bitcoin (BTC) would reach $500,000 by 2020. When the price of the crypto asset looked even more bullish in November 2017, McAfee doubled down, claiming that BTC would reach $1 million by 2021.

Neither prediction ultimately came true, nor did he fulfill the terms of his extravagant bet in which he claimed he would "eat [his] dick on national television" if the price did not reach $500,000. However, a nonfungible token (NFT) animation jokingly showing the 75-year-old fulfilling his promise is available to buy through the Rarible marketplace.

The U.S. government had been seeking McAfee’s extradition for charges including failing to submit tax returns from 2014 to 2018 and allegedly not reporting income related to pushing crypto projects and consulting work. In October 2020, authorities arrested McAfee at Barcelona’s international airport, detaining him until a decision on extradition could be reached.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/remember ... dead-at-75
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: RIP John McAfee

Post by migrant »

A couple years back I watched a documentary type program about him. Brilliant but troubled individual.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

This one Gringo? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6071534/

Yep, he had some issues, but wasn't afraid to say it how it was.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:57 pm This one Gringo? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6071534/

Yep, he had some issues, but wasn't afraid to say it how it was.
Who you calling Gringo?? :D :D

Yep that's the one!! Interesting!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.