Astronomy, cosmology and space thread

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
pharvey

Re: Astronomy, cosmology and space thread

Post by pharvey »

^ Interesting one..... :thumb:

I wonder what the quality of the photo's was like.....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

NASA’s Mars Helicopter Reports In

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-mar ... reports-in

:cheers: :cheers:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

BREAKING NEWS ...
NASA’s Perseverence Rover has now probed the surface of Mars. Initial analysis has revealed that it’s made up of a thin superficial layer of chocolate which overlies thicker strata of caramel and nougat.

:duck: :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Additional photo's from Perseverance :thumb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-56238018
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Plans to start building in the 2050s with completion in 2100. Incredible what the future may hold.

PLANS FOR THE FIRST SUSTAINABLE CITY ON MARS UNVEILED
Screenshot_20210321_144603.jpg
Screenshot_20210321_144603.jpg (188.01 KiB) Viewed 1391 times

With plans for the first 'Martian sustainable city' ready to go, it's now just a question of time before humans live on Mars.The new design overall contains five cities - the capital is called Nüwa. The vertical city has homes, offices and green spaces, all built into the side of a cliff to protect inhabitants from atmospheric pressure and radiation.

The oxygen is largely produced by plants, food is 90 per cent plant-based and the energy comes from solar panels.

Screenshot_20210321_144618.jpg
Screenshot_20210321_144618.jpg (409.21 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
LIFE ON MARS
Mars is half the size of Earth. But how would we get there? Every two years there are a couple of weeks when the planet is the closest to Earth, so the trip would only take six months to get there.

More and video...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurone ... s-unveiled
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Oh would I love to see it in my lifetime....

^ We need to set up on the moon first - reaching Mars (manned) is not an option until we do that. Let's just hope the Chinese and Russians don't get there first.....
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Not too far away now.... :thumb:

NASA Ingenuity Mars Helicopter Prepares for First Flight :thumb:

This could be quite incredible..... :bow: For just getting there!!

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa ... rst-flight

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And it's made it - short but sweet, a hell of an achievement - BIG HAND NASA!! :bow:

"The American space agency has successfully flown a small helicopter on Mars.

The drone, called Ingenuity, was airborne for less than a minute, but Nasa is celebrating what represents the first powered, controlled flight by an aircraft on another world.

Confirmation came via a satellite at Mars which relayed the chopper's data back to Earth.

The space agency is promising more adventurous flights in the days ahead."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56799755

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

BREAKING NEWS
SpaceX successfully landed a prototype of a spacecraft it hopes to one day send to the moon and Mars. It’s the first time the vehicle didn’t explode.

Wednesday, May 5, 2021 7:20 PM EST

A future model of the vehicle, known as Starship, is central to the company's goal of one day carrying humans far beyond Earth’s orbit. NASA also recently awarded SpaceX a contract to build a version that would carry astronauts to the moon’s surface later this decade.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

hhfarang wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:42 am It’s the first time the vehicle didn’t explode.
Well, that's progress!! :laugh:
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Missed this one - but China is now on Mars too. Seems to be the beginning of the Space Race round two. Now if America had have stuck with it the first time round, they would be way ahead by now, but they've got no chance against China which is catching up fast.

More Tianwen-series probes to collect samples from Mars for research
As Zhurong Mars rover embarks on its mission to explore the surface of the Red Planet for at least 3 Martian months, approximately 92 days on Earth, the chief designer of China's first Mars exploration mission shared the vision for the next goals under a national plan called "planetary exploration," which is to send more Tianwen-series probes to planets, including Mars and Jupiter, to collect samples and carry out key technology research.

The touchdown of the Tianwen-1 probe on Mars - which marks that China has become the third nation to achieve such a feat, following Russia and the US - may be far from enough for China's ambition for interplanetary expedition, as China is expected to send humans to Mars and launch more interplanetary missions to enhance people's knowledge of the unknown and improve the capacity of the country, Chinese space observers noted.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202105/1223625.shtml
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:43 am Missed this one - but China is now on Mars too. Seems to be the beginning of the Space Race round two. Now if America had have stuck with it the first time round, they would be way ahead by now, but they've got no chance against China which is catching up fast.
I still think they (US/NASA) have every chance against China - America certainly lost pace for some years, but have masses of experience and information regarding the Red Planet. A number of missions under their belts and the first to fly a controlled/powered vehicle in the Mars atmosphere.

Seems the Mars orbit is getting a tad congested theses days with the US, China, UAE, Europe, India and Russia all having missions......

NOTE: - Europe and Russia also have planned Mars Rover Missions in 2020. NASA still quite a way ahead IMHO and the "competition" could well give them a kick up the backside - there is also the likes of SpaceX who's develpments will no doubt aid the US/NASA.

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:32 pm
NOTE: - Europe and Russia also have planned Mars Rover Missions in 2020. NASA still quite a way ahead IMHO and...
Though NASA may be ahead in Mars exploration it seems Europe and Russia pip them on time travel. :wink:
Last edited by Lost on Tue May 18, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:58 pm
pharvey wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:32 pm
NOTE: - Europe and Russia also have planned Mars Rover Missions in 2020. NASA still quite a way ahead IMHO and...
Though NASA may be ahead in Mars exploration it seems Europe and Russia pip them on time travel. :wink:
Yeah, yeah you've rightly picked me up there on my grammar - why is it always bloody teachers!! :roll: :wink:

Anyway, time travel aside I still think NASA/US are in front, and I hope it stays that way before the Sir Fynwy Associated Space Agency - SFASA, gets there in the coming years. This is NOT just a dream, but the English will require vaccinations and passports when enering the colony!!

Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

It was great to see the helicopter flying on Mars and I hope it lasts for a while and gives us some good
photos and videos of the area. I wonder how the Chinese rover arrived on the planet, air bags or
a similar landing that the last 2 rovers from NASA did? Did I hear that Russia tried and failed at another probe as well?
I wonder who all the brave people who plan to build the first colony on Mars are? The trip they take will be one way as
they will be doomed to die of radiation before they can get back to Earth. At least going to the moon and
using some caves and tubes to live in as well as building some other type of structures will be a good start
before going to Mars to build there. Mean while I got to see the Lunar X and V on May 18th. My photo is too big to
show, sorry bout that.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.