The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by dtaai-maai »

It's in France. God knows why it's so late, but almost certainly a TV scheduling issue.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:18 pm It's in France. God knows why it's so late, but almost certainly a TV scheduling issue.
Indeed it is, but why play all three games on Saturday rather than spread over the weekend as normal? Seems a tad strange......
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A good ending for Stander. Ireland in control the entire way. Didn't agree with the red card on Aki, but I guess one of those rules with no choice.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What happened with Wales last night I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I really feel for you Pharvey, and for all Wales fans. The sun will shine again, it will just take a while. :( :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:45 am I really feel for you Pharvey, and for all Wales fans.
I don't, it just means the level of P taking will be a little more subdued.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm like a walking zombie today. All rugby since yesterday afternoon with little sleep break between then and now: Hurricanes/Chiefs in Rugby Aotearoa, Scotland/Italy, Ireland/England, Wales/France and just finished now Crusaders/Blues in Aotearoa with a disappointing result. :( That's enough for a week or so. :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Saturday was an effin' nightmare for me, with England hammered by India in the T20, and rolling over with their legs in the air against the Irish in Dublin, so I went to bed early with my security blanket sucking my thumb...
thumb.jpg
thumb.jpg (8.35 KiB) Viewed 209 times
Set up to watch France-Wales 'as live' in the early hours, I spent a few minutes trying to decide who I least wanted to win, but couldn't and settled for hoping for a good game.

The first 20 minutes was amazing and the game as a whole was hugely entertaining. I was preparing to say that Wales had had the rub of the green (again) with some of the decisions, particularly the 'on-field' try/no try decisions, but then the last 10 minutes took over...

Anyway, huge credit to both teams for a splendid game, credit also to Luke Pearce*, who had a good game as ref (superbly supported by an excellent TMO... :naughty:).

One benefit from this result is that next week's game is now worth watching.

*Just googled him - apparently he's Welsh!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:45 am I really feel for you Pharvey, and for all Wales fans. The sun will shine again, it will just take a while. :( :cheers:
It was an absolutely gut wrenching result Pete, but what a match! The sun always shines in Wales - it's just hidden behind the dour English weather :wink:
Big Boy wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:06 am
PeteC wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:45 am I really feel for you Pharvey, and for all Wales fans.
I don't, it just means the level of P taking will be a little more subdued.
BB from you as a proud Englishman and Bristolian, I would expect no less .... But expecting "subdued P taking" from myself after the Irish result?.. Nah - Watch this space :D :wink: Did I mention the Lillywhites are 5th - and had their worst 4/5/6 Nations performance in, what 50 odd years?
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:02 pm Saturday was an effin' nightmare for me,
Ahem.....
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:02 pm England hammered by India in the T20, and rolling over with their legs in the air against the Irish in Dublin, so I went to bed early with my security blanket sucking my thumb...
Only a couple of things made me smile on Saturday.....
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:02 pm
The first 20 minutes was amazing and the game as a whole was hugely entertaining. I was preparing to say that Wales had had the rub of the green (again) with some of the decisions, particularly the 'on-field' try/no try decisions, but then the last 10 minutes took over...

Anyway, huge credit to both teams for a splendid game, credit also to Luke Pearce*, who had a good game as ref (superbly supported by an excellent TMO... :naughty:).

One benefit from this result is that next week's game is now worth watching.

*Just googled him - apparently he's Welsh!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
If Wales had won the Grand Slam, it would have been because " we had the rub of the green", or it was poor refereeing, or it was Welsh bias, or, or,........ Some sad stuff in the press. Micky taking and banter as it is on HHF, is good fun and a release, but there are truly some silly comments in the UK press.

Yes, I extract the urine at times, but with a serious head on this was my post on WOL (https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-20223150): -

"Wales were on the wrong side of a few very tight calls, although we've also been on the right side of a few decisions in this championship! Quite frankly I think the officiating all round was excellent overall (I still have my issues about feeding the scrum, but both sides were guilty of that offence). France unsurprisingly bounced back from their loss at Twickenham, and along with Wales provided a wonderful spectacle in Paris - rugby being the true winner.
For once Wales' discipline let them down, but this was also due to huge French pressure. I think Pivac jumped the gun with his substitutions "en masse" and Gareth Davies' poor & pointless kicking (at times) lead to a French try - Wales have some decision making to do at Scrumhalf IMO.
Hats off to both sides for a great game of rugby, just not the result I wanted...... However have no complaints over.
Les Bleus will go all out against the Scots - could be a cracker of a game next week."

:cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Saliva test a 'game-changer' in rugby's fight against concussion

https://www.bangkokpost.com/sports/2088 ... concussion

LONDON: A new "game-changing" saliva test could provide quicker and more accurate treatment of concussion in rugby union, according to a study published on Tuesday.

Concussion has become a major concern within the contact sport as fears grow about the impact of its increasing ferocity on elite-level players.

Former England international Dan Scarbrough, diagnosed with early onset dementia, said Monday he had joined a case involving 2003 World Cup-winner Steve Thompson.

They allege several rugby authorities, including World Rugby, the sport's global governing body, failed to protect players from the risks of concussion.

It is an issue for several sports who fear costly litigation similar to that which has engulfed American football.

The gridiron game has seen multi-million dollar payouts made to former players who, unlike their rugby counterparts, were wearing helmets that protected their skull but still suffered severe brain injuries.

However, the SCRUM (Study of Concussion in Rugby Union through MicroRNAs) paper published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine says that, for the first time, specific salivary molecules known as biomarkers can indicate if a player has been concussed.

Significantly, the saliva test shows both the immediate impact of any trauma and its effect several days later -- something which may also benefit amateur rugby, where it is rare to have the same extensive touchline medical support as in the professional game.

Tuesday's paper follows a three-year programme conducted by the University of Birmingham in central England and involving England's governing Rugby Football Union.

Biomarker analysis carried out on 1,028 professional men's players in England's top two leagues -- the Premiership and Championship --- found the test to be 96 percent accurate in diagnosing concussion.

"What's really exciting is we have found a very accurate way of identifying brain trauma and in saliva, which is non-invasive," said Professor Antonio Belli of the University of Birmingham, one of the study's authors.

"The next stage will be to make it faster and portable and instantly available to the doctor on the bench, but we are not there yet."

The findings will be shared at next week's World Rugby welfare symposium, which is expected to designate two more elite competitions for further trials.

Biotechnology company Marker Diagnostics is trying to convert the research into an over-the-counter test for elite male athletes.

"Being able to diagnose with an objective test really changes the game in terms of who you assess, and who reports symptoms," said Dr Patrick O'Halloran of Marker.

A professional player suspected of being concussed during a game is subjected to World Rugby's Head Injury Assessment (HIA) procedure.

They are removed from the field and, after a series of checks, a doctor decides whether a player can return or is permanently excluded from the match before further post-game assessment takes place.

"Within the elite professional game, men's and women's, it would be ideal to have an in-game test," said study co-author Dr Simon Kemp, the RFU's medical services director.

"This test needs to be part of an HIA framework."

The fact the HIA, however, can allow a player taken out of a game to return to action six days later -- previously a concussed rugby player was stood down for a mandatory three weeks -- has proved highly controversial.

The change prompted Dr Barry O'Driscoll, a cousin of Irish rugby great Brian O'Driscoll and himself a former Ireland international, to resign as World Rugby's medical adviser in 2012.

But Dr O'Driscoll, speaking at a conference on Tuesday before the SCRUM paper was published, said: "There are blood tests now and saliva tests, which are in their infancy but will provide us with quite a lot of information as to how concussion is going on."

Meanwhile, Belli said further research was needed to see if female players had the same saliva markers, as most concussion studies show differences between men and women.

The death of former England footballer Jeff Astle in 2002 was determined by a coroner to result from a neurodegenerative condition caused by repeated heading of a ball.

Belli said the research could aid football, amid ongoing talks with England's elite Premier League "to expand the scope of the study".

He added there were potential applications beyond sport, "from road-traffic accidents, to military settings where making diagnoses is tricky".
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ All sounds good, but years away.....
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Absolute class.....

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, the 6 Nations comes to a close tonight (Europe) - silly o'clock Thailand tomorrow, with France taking on Scotland.

To take the Championship, France need to win with 4 tries (Bonus Point) and by 21+ points - if on the other hand Scotland win by 8+ points and restrict France to under 4 tries, they will finish 2nd - their best finish ever placing in the SIX Nations.

I have no doubt France will go for the big win - they have nothing to lose. BUT, in going for that kind of win they are likely to leave themselves open (despite that man Edwards). French passion and all that.....

Could make for a very exciting match..... :thumb:

[EDIT] Being shown on BBC & iPlayer 8pm (UK) for those who have access or ExpatTV etc.

Wales to be crowned as "Six Nations Champions & Triple Crown Winners"..... The Lillywhites finish in 5th - oh so near to the PERFECT result/Championship.... :wink: :D

Next up the British & Irish Lions.....

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's pissing rain in Paris so I would think that's a distinct advantage for Scotland. :cheers:

Edit: Being shown on Rugby Pass, which includes TRUE channel 669 here.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Congratulations Wales.
Apparently 95 years since Scotland won at Twickenham and Paris in the same championship year,although an occasional gambling man, would have never have considered something like that, could have enjoyed retirement even more!!!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, a touche moment for France suffering the same that they inflicted on Wales last week in the closing seconds. Hats off to Scotland, a riveting and enjoyable game. :cheers: