The scourge of the yellow spots on car

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

The scourge of the yellow spots on car

Post by Gregjam »

Since I have been back (just a month now) I have noticed a lot of yellow spots appearing on my car. I assumed that tree sap was the issue and for the majority of them a very wet rag and allowing time to soak would be sufficient to remove them. My car is white and they show up quite a lot. Quite a few however have resisted all the attempts I have made to remove them. Apart from a normal wash I have tried polishing, claying, windex and after some YouTube time used sanitizing gel and isopropyl alcohol all to no avail. The stains are not raised so it looks like they are in the clear coat or paint.
Even when the car is parked away from trees it still gets covered in these sap like marks. Initially they are just like a small lump of sap and most clean off without leaving a trace. The remainder leave a light yellow stain and there are plenty of them. They must be airborne and land on the car which leads me to suspect the ongoing dual carriageification of the Pala U road as I live in Nong Khon and regularly pass the road building work.
I have noticed that this is happening to most vehicles in the area and also see the marks on walls and driveways.
Does anyone have any positive experience in removing the stains, I fear that they may be a feature for the future as removing the clear coat and respray is not something I plan to do.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: The scourge of the yellow spots

Post by HHTel »

A quick google produced this:
So, what are those yellow-gold dots? Simply put, it's bee poop. Yes, bees poop and with the 2019 super bloom upon us, you'll find these yellow-gold dots on pretty much everything. These droppings are incredibly sticky and difficult to remove, even a regular scrub can leave them perfectly intact.
And this:

Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: The scourge of the yellow spots on car

Post by Gregjam »

I checked out quite a few YouTube videos and by far the most recommended method of removal was using alcohol based products. Very effective at removing the solid part and in many cases no stain remains but there are a lot where the stain remains. On a white car they can easily be spotted (pun intended).