How good (or bad) is MG HS crossover?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Edmin
Amateur
Amateur

How good (or bad) is MG HS crossover?

Post by Edmin »

If there are any current or former owners of MG HS crossover on this forum please share your opinion about this vehicle. Thank you in advance.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: How good (or bad) is MG HS crossover?

Post by handdrummer »

All I know is that an English car mechanic told me to never buy an English car, because they will spend as much time in the shop as on the road.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well of course, current MG’s are no longer British and made either in China or here in Thailand. I am the “proud” owner of an MG HS PHEV (plug-in hybrid) and have had it for just one month, but am delighted with it. It has all of the safety features as any car on the market and is comfortable and when driving in EV (electric) mode, is particularly quiet. Performance is good and economy is astounding. Most of my journeys have been relatively short so I’ve been able to use electric power most of the time. Economy figures so far over 700 km’s have averaged 62 k/l (175 mpg), although I have of course had to recharge the battery a number of times.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:46 pm All I know is that an English car mechanic told me to never buy an English car, because they will spend as much time in the shop as on the road.
Yeh, the highs of the British car industry have long gone. At one time we were the second largest manufacturer (U.S. being the leader) and the largest exporter. Still known for Aston Martin, Bentley, Caterham Cars, Daimler, Jaguar, Lagonda, Land Rover, Lister Cars, Lotus, McLaren, MG, Mini, Morgan and Rolls-Royce.

Many British car marques have been acquired by foreign companies including BMW (Mini and Rolls-Royce), SAIC (MG), Tata (Jaguar and Land Rover) and Volkswagen Group (Bentley). Rights to many currently dormant marques, including Austin, Riley, Rover and Triumph, are also owned by foreign companies.

We had our day but that's now history.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:41 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:46 pm All I know is that an English car mechanic told me to never buy an English car, because they will spend as much time in the shop as on the road.
Yeh, the highs of the British car industry have long gone. At one time we were the second largest manufacturer (U.S. being the leader) and the largest exporter. Still known for Aston Martin, Bentley, Caterham Cars, Daimler, Jaguar, Lagonda, Land Rover, Lister Cars, Lotus, McLaren, MG, Mini, Morgan and Rolls-Royce.

Many British car marques have been acquired by foreign companies including BMW (Mini and Rolls-Royce), SAIC (MG), Tata (Jaguar and Land Rover) and Volkswagen Group (Bentley). Rights to many currently dormant marques, including Austin, Riley, Rover and Triumph, are also owned by foreign companies.

The one improvement made by foreign owners, on the British vehicles, is that now the electrical systems don't break down. Lucas never could figure out how to make the lights stay on.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yeh, the highs of the British car industry have long gone.....
I´m waiting for the Chinese to produce a new Vauxhall Chevette or Austin Allegro!
I would be interested in having a look at the all electric version of the MG in Thailand though.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

HHTel wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:41 pm

Same story with the aircraft industry. England led the world with many innovative commercial & military aircraft only to lose out. Much of that decline occurred in the days when the government still ran & funded the industry and they frustratingly pulled out of so many projects at the time where the backing was needed most. They also still spec'd things with a serving the Empire mindset.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Re aircraft - I've worked on both the American made as well as British made aircraft. The main difference was, every single fastener on the British aircraft was either wirelocked in place or has a cotterpin. The Americans used self-locking nuts for a lot of the stuff, and while wirelocking was necessary, it was a lot less than their counterparts. The other thing was access and maintainability. The American aircraft were designed with maintenance and ease of access in mind. With the British aircraft, that was more of an afterthought. Many bruised knuckles and swear words will bear witness to that..
Back to topic..
I have never had faith in any Chinese manufactured product. MG is no exception. The products themselves start out well, but have underlying issues that manifest themselves some time after ownership of said product.
A good indicator is the secondhand car market, I was surprised as to how many MGs were listed, a lot of late model cars too. As an aside, I spend a lot of time in the Chonburi/ Rayong area and it seems MG don't even have car transport vehicles. I would routinely see convoys of MGs on the road on what I suspect were their dealership delivery runs..
My two baht worth.
BTW Dannie Boy, I am sure you are pleased with your purchase, I do hope it serves you well. I'm just an opiniated old git with certain notions permanently etched in the brain.
วินเชนท์
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

VincentD wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:51 am Re aircraft - I've worked on both the American made as well as British made aircraft. The main difference was, every single fastener on the British aircraft was either wirelocked in place or has a cotterpin. The Americans used self-locking nuts for a lot of the stuff, and while wirelocking was necessary, it was a lot less than their counterparts. The other thing was access and maintainability. The American aircraft were designed with maintenance and ease of access in mind. With the British aircraft, that was more of an afterthought. Many bruised knuckles and swear words will bear witness to that..
Back to topic..
I have never had faith in any Chinese manufactured product. MG is no exception. The products themselves start out well, but have underlying issues that manifest themselves some time after ownership of said product.
A good indicator is the secondhand car market, I was surprised as to how many MGs were listed, a lot of late model cars too. As an aside, I spend a lot of time in the Chonburi/ Rayong area and it seems MG don't even have car transport vehicles. I would routinely see convoys of MGs on the road on what I suspect were their dealership delivery runs..
My two baht worth.
BTW Dannie Boy, I am sure you are pleased with your purchase, I do hope it serves you well. I'm just an opiniated old git with certain notions permanently etched in the brain.
No offense taken. These cars are now sold in many European countries and whilst the verdict is still out to a certain extent, I believe that the more recent models are more reliable than the earlier models. Of course “the proof of the pudding will be in the eating” in as much as what will it be like in 3 or 4 years time. Regarding delivery, certainly to Hua Hin they use transporters.