Horses on the beach

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Horses on the beach

Post by Hahuahin »

Does anyone know the horse's history and background to that we find them on a beach in Southeast Asia? No, I have no objections to the horses. But the fact that horseback riding is offered on a beach in a country best known for elephants and monkeys, seems a bit outside the country's culture, or do I lack some information, and is it in any way related to the fact that in old times Hua Hin used to be just a shuttle station for travelers between Bangkok and Southern Thailand?

Thank you.
hahuahin
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Horses on the beach

Post by HHTel »

I don't know when it started but I doubt whether it's related to any romantic stories back in 'old times'. It's certainly not unique to Thailand or even SE. There are dozens of beaches around the world that offer the same, even in Europe.

My guess is that it was seen elsewhere, noted the success, so it was tried here.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

1916, during the reign of Rama 5, English horse carriages & horses were brought to Bangkok. I don't know if the horses were shipped from England or they were brought from India. The carriages were also used up-country during that and subsequent periods.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The first horse race was in 1897 following the king's visit to Europe.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Thank you for the inputs. I also was thinking about the connection to the Royal family and of course this the history of horse racing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_racing_in_Thailand
Hahuahin
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I think horses first came to Thailand in search of those comforts many others seek, back in the days when Nana was called Nehhh Nehhh
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've read a book written in the days of the British Empire about a journey around the region in the 1920s and the author stopped in Hua Hin while travelling on the train. One of the things he did was rent a horse to ride on the beach.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Horses on beach = poop all along soi 94

Make sure to walk with one eye on the road (and one eye on the recently hot massage staff in tiny tiny shorts)