The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by dtaai-maai »

Hell's teeth, take a look at the Champions Cup format - you need a degree to work it out! :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55261409
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:53 pm Hell's teeth, take a look at the Champions Cup format - you need a degree to work it out! :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55261409
They don't make things easy do they...... :roll:

Just watched Ulster vs Toulouse which was a cracking game despite the conditions - won't share the result in case repeats are being shown/watched, but certainly worth a look if you can.

Plenty of rugby on over the weekend - are you able to get the Bears match on Rugby Pass BB? I'm lucky enough to be able to get a multitude of matches through BT Sport including Bristol vs Clermont first up and then it'll be the "Rag Doll Match" (Bath vs Scarlets) for me :thumb: :D The latter has seen some classic matches, unfortunately this time around Scarlets are suffering with numerous injuries.... :(
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:20 am are you able to get the Bears match on Rugby Pass BB? I'm lucky enough to be able to get a multitude of matches through BT Sport
Since the demise of Rugby Pass, rugby is all but dead for me again now.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I used to go to Franklins Gardens when I lived in Northampton so I was disappointed when they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night. The game was a bit dour though.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

arcadianagain wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:52 pm I used to go to Franklins Gardens when I lived in Northampton so I was disappointed when they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night. The game was a bit dour though.
The Saints really have forgotten how to win it seems - I think that makes 11 on the bounce. Tough way to give a try, but credit to Bordeaux for following up.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:55 am
pharvey wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:20 am are you able to get the Bears match on Rugby Pass BB? I'm lucky enough to be able to get a multitude of matches through BT Sport
Since the demise of Rugby Pass, rugby is all but dead for me again now.
Just noticed the game was also shown on Channel 4 - can you get "catch-up" on Expat TV perhaps? Incredible game to watch - again, I won't post the result in case you are able to get it.

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, unfortunately, they've nobbled catch-up TV here as well.

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, unfortunately, they've nobbled catch-up TV here as well.

Points 51; Position 21
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:14 am No, unfortunately, they've nobbled catch-up TV here as well.
You're having all the luck......
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A little way off yet, but the Pools for the 2023 RWC were finalised earlier today: -

The 2023 Rugby World Cup draw in full:

Pool A: New Zealand, France, Italy, Americas 1 (likely USA), Africa 1 (likely Namibia)

Pool B: South Africa, Ireland, Scotland, Asia-Pacific 1 (likely Tonga), Europe 2 (likely Portugal)

Pool C: Wales, Australia, Fiji, Europe 1 (likely Georgia), final qualifier winner

Pool D: England, Japan, Argentina, Oceania 1 (likely Samoa), Americas 2 (likely Canada/Uruguay)

Quarter-finals:

QF 1: Winner Pool C vs Runner up Pool D
QF 2: Winner Pool B v Runner up Pool A
QF 3: Winner Pool D v Runner up Pool C
QF 4: Winner Pool A v Runner up Pool B

Semi-finals:

SF 1: Winner QF1 v Winner QF2
SF 2: Winner QF3 v Winner QF4

There is therefore the possibility of a Wales vs England Quarter Final, although with the current state of affairs, many will feel Pivac's team will have difficulty finding a way to the stadium, let alone the Quarter Finals..... :roll: :(

Luckily enough for Wales, the Pool Draw was based on the IRB World Rankings after the RWC in Japan, when we were placed 4th and therefore in Tier 1. We are now ranked 9th and would have been drawn in a far more difficult pool had the draw been based on our current ranking. That said, Australia and Fiji aren't the easiest of opponents!!

Can't see Scotland getting through the Pool Stage on current form & England could have tough games against Argentina and (potentially) Japan.

All that said, RWC France is still just about 2yrs & 9 months off, so a lot can change (hopefully for the better where Wales is concerned).......

:cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Not good news for the European Rugby Champions Cup...... :(

"Exeter’s defence of their Champions Cup title is under threat after a Covid outbreak at the club led to two of this weekend’s European matches being cancelled, including their trip to Toulouse. Glasgow – beaten by Exeter on Sunday – have also had their match against Lyon cancelled, plunging the competition into chaos.

The Chiefs have confirmed that because of a number of positive cases among players and staff – believed to be in double figures – they are unable to fulfil Sunday’s fixture in Toulouse. If the French side are awarded a 28-0 bonus-point win by the tournament organiser, European Professional Club Rugby, then Exeter’s chances of reaching the knockout stages would be greatly diminished. Either way, the competition has been denied one of the ties of the pool stages and a rematch of one of last season’s semi-finals.

The matches cannot be rescheduled and EPCR has said it will form committees to determine the results but, given the outbreak has occurred at Exeter, a win for Toulouse seems the most likely outcome. In September, Castres were forced to forfeit last season’s Challenge Cup quarter-final against Leicester after an outbreak of four Covid cases.

With a one-off format where teams play only four matches and the top four from two pools advance to the quarter-finals in use, Exeter would almost certainly need bonus-point wins from their remaining two matches and even that might not be enough.

Glasgow, meanwhile, are also unable to fulfil their fixture against Lyon because 20 of the 23 players involved in the 42-0 defeat at Sandy Park are having to self-isolate. The Warriors would appear to have a better defence against forfeiting but Lyon could argue they would be unfairly hampered in their bid for qualification if a draw is awarded and that they could have played the fixture.

A statement from the tournament organisers read: “As per its Covid-19 protocol, EPCR will convene match result resolution committees to determine the results of the cancelled matches and the decisions of the committees will be communicated as soon as practicable.”

The outbreak could also have knock-on effects on Christmas fixtures. Exeter are hopeful their Premiership match at home to Gloucester can still go ahead on Boxing Day, with another round of testing set to take place next week. Glasgow are due to host the first of their annual fixtures against Edinburgh on 27 December.

Premiership Rugby revealed its latest results on Wednesday, with 16 positive cases across Exeter and one other club. In September, Exeter’s director of rugby, Rob Baxter, called for an end to Covid testing for players on the grounds that “the actual transfer rates around players who are testing positive are so, so small”."
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

To me that means whichever teams avoid a Covid outbreak, without perhaps even playing, will be awarded the Cup. Kind of meaningless IMO.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:44 am To me that means whichever teams avoid a Covid outbreak, without perhaps even playing, will be awarded the Cup. Kind of meaningless IMO.
It goes on, and is seriously buggering things up - I'm at a total loss with regards to Scarlets and Bath. A Scarlets player has tested positive and hence numerous players from both sides have had to isolate (as they played each other last week). Both teams have several injuries, Bath say they cannot field a team, yet Scarlets can(?) - seems strange to me. Bath are given a 28-0 (bonus point) loss, whilst the Scarlets match is postponed as Toulon decided not to play...... Why weren't Scarlets awarded the win?

"Scarlets’ Champions Cup clash against Toulon on Friday has been postponed after the French club decided not to play because of coronavirus-related concerns.

The Scarlets players were going through a work-out on the pitch at Parc y Scarlets 75 minutes before kick-off, but Toulon had not arrived at the stadium and television equipment was being packed away.

In a statement, Toulon said they had decided “not to play this meeting as planned this evening” after a positive Covid-19 test in the Scarlets squad.

Tournament organisers European Professional Club Rugby then confirmed the postponement."

See - https://www.planetrugby.com/scarlets-v- ... -concerns/

Also from: - https://www.planetrugby.com/french-trio ... led-games/

"French teams La Rochelle, Lyon and Toulouse will go into the third round of the Champions Cup with two wins from two after being handed 28-0 victories.

Exeter Chiefs’ match with Les Rouge et Noir was called off on Wednesday due to an outbreak at the club.

That also affected Glasgow Warriors, who were forced to self-isolate after facing the Chiefs in the European competition last weekend.

It was a similar scenario for Bath with the West Country club unable to face La Rochelle having come into contact with a Scarlets player that later tested positive.

EPCR statement
A statement from the EPCR said: “In respect of the Glasgow Warriors v Lyon Pool B fixture which had been scheduled for tomorrow (Saturday, 19 December) at Scotstoun, it was decided that as Glasgow Warriors were unable to safely field a matchday squad due to the unavailability of a significant number of isolating players, Lyon were deemed to be the winners, and were awarded five match points on a scoreline of 28-0.

“In respect of the La Rochelle v Bath Rugby match in Pool A which had also been scheduled for tomorrow (Saturday, 19 December) at Stade Marcel Deflandre, it was decided that as Bath were unable to safely field a matchday squad due to the unavailability of a significant number of isolating players, in addition to reported injuries to other squad members, La Rochelle were deemed to be the winners, and were awarded five match points on a scoreline of 28-0.

“In respect of the Toulouse v Exeter Chiefs fixture in Pool B which had been scheduled for Sunday (20 December) at Stade Ernest Wallon, it was decided that as Exeter Chiefs had recorded a number of positive tests for COVID-19 among players and staff and were therefore unable to travel to France to fulfil the fixture on public health advice, Toulouse were deemed to be the winners, and were awarded five match points on a scoreline of 28-0.”

All going tits up....... :( :roll:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It's nonsense, the whole thing should be called off.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:31 am It's nonsense, the whole thing should be called off.
Certainly a bit of a farce to say the least, but money is involved (BT Sports, Heineken et al) which rugby desperately needs.