Quality of multifocal optical lenses

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Quality of multifocal optical lenses

Post by 404cameljockey »

hin wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:49 pm I too refuse plastic lenses and refuse to patronize the chain outfits that are just jewelry sellers serving you with clerks, not proper licensed opticians, ophthalmologists or even optometrists.

I was not able to find glass lenses in Hua Hin. Even Rutnin Eye Hospital in Bkk cannot provide them. We buy my specs at Siam Optical, a family-owned place at 535-537 Sukhumvit Road., Between, Sukhumvit Soi 29 - Soi 31. 086-374-6379     02-258-4644. They can provide glass lenses and speak excellent English. They have another shop across Sukhumvit and about a block away but we have never been to that one.

They do not grind the lenses on site but do have machinery to grind the blanks on site to fit whatever frames you have or choose. So also if you break your frames they can grind your lenses to fit a new slightly smaller frame, or much smaller frame, usually while you wait.

My correction is abnormally strong. Before surgery it was -10.5 to -11.0. Now is -7.5 to -8.0 and some prism correction too. So I do not buy mail order glasses, they need to be properly fitted to my face for correct focal distance. So we go there, they fit the frames, order the lenses, and mail them to us in 2 or 3 days and I have not been disappointed..

Also, if needing a trip to Bkk, especially to Rutnin Eye Hospital there is a hotel almost directly across the street from Rutnin Eye Hospital that is nice but reasonable price. We paid ฿1300 - ฿1800 including breakfast a couple years ago. There are 2 buildings, the older one has bigger rooms. Do not know if they have any stars, maybe none, we don’t give $h!t about that, but they do have a gym and a nice swimming pool and limited parking and it was fine for us. I do not even know the name of the place, wife is at hospital tending to her father and my info is in Thai for taxi driver and too much bother to figure out how to scan and attach to this right now but phone is 02-259-0222. All you gotta do is go to Rutnin Eye Hospital and it is across the street, about 12 meters toward Sukhumvit in a cul-de-sac, or small Soi that dead ends into it. If confused introduce yourself to Mr Google, he has good maps
That's great info, thanks so much.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

hhinner wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:28 pm I use Dr Pairat to get prescriptions and then order from overseas via internet. I've been happy with what I've ordered from Zenni and Onlineopticiansuk. Lenses are much better than those I've previously bought in Thailand. Especially sunglasses that don't fade like the Thai ones. All lenses are plastic but of different grades that you can choose, and scratch resistant coating, anti-reflective, anti-UV, anti-blue-glare, up to you. My last order from Zenni took less than 2 weeks to arrive (from China). Bifocals.
Thanks, that's an interesting solution. And then you get them fitted to your glasses frames in in HH, correct? Because the centre of focus depends on the dimensions of your frames I guess.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

No. The order is for frames and lenses.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:15 am No. The order is for frames and lenses.
You have single focus lenses, if multi-focus they have to be centered based on your eyes.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

handdrummer wrote:
You have single focus lenses, if multi-focus they have to be centered based on your eyes.
I have bifocals. But I take your point regarding multifocal.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

hhinner wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:52 pm
handdrummer wrote:
I have bifocals. But I take your point regarding multifocal.
Yes, my lenses are variable focus, I was told they would be reading distance up to 2 metres (as I already had in my frames).

I knew I was taking a quality risk going to THAT store in MV. Learnt my lesson this time.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Thanks to all you guys for the input. Since I subscribed to The Times which I read cover to cover my mornings are sucked up and I haven't taken time to hang out in the forum. It's nice to know you're all still here.

And hopefully most still in HH, virus permitting. I haven't travelled for years, and won't now because getting back in seems too complicated on my O/A with Thai embassies in every country as confused as the rest of us. Darn this crazy rule-making government.

Stay safe!

:cheers: