A Covid-19 experience

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Re: A Covid-19 experience

Post by Big Boy »

So does that mean that when they think she is cured again, she has to go back into quarantine for another 14 days?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:Just learned that her and 3 others who all had Covid in the US, recovered and tested negative have now been tested positive in Thailand. Crazy!
But if the testing process in the US is not up to scratch it would explain a lot.

Not only for your daughter's group.

Maybe the reason CV19 is a such a problem in USA is because they're telling people they are OK(negative), when they're not, and so they go out and spread it!

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Even if that were the case, recovery from Covid is estimated at 2 weeks and up to 6 weeks for severe cases. That in itself should rule her out.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:30 pm So does that mean that when they think she is cured again, she has to go back into quarantine for another 14 days?
We have to wait and see on that one. She's been told that if the blood test comes back okay, She MIGHT be allowed to go back to a hotel but not the same one.

She's very peed off. I hope she doesn't have to start quarantine from day one.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

She's still stuck in hospital. She demanded a blood test. It seems that the results are back but the doctors are not happy with the outcome and sent back to be re-tested.
From asking questions, there seems to be a pattern emerging. Arriving in Thailand after having had Covid and recovered are returning positive results when tested here.
That could account for many of the cases found in quarantine, people who have tested negative before boarding a flight to Thailand after having recovered from Covid.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

She sure has had a bad time, I wish her luck from now on!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yeh. She surely needs some luck.
Something really doesn't add up here. All four of the 'positive' tests are from people who've already had Covid and recovered before boarding flights to return.
Although her temp remains at around 37.2, she keeps getting warned by the medical staff to expect the onset of a fever shortly!
She's now being questioned by medical staff about where she met her husband, how long she's known him, where he lives in the US, how many times he's been to Thailand, what visa did she have to enter the US...etc etc.
I've told her to reply "That has nothing to do with you and unless you give me a valid reason for these questions, then I'll not answer them". This is not even immigration.
She's angry and so am I. Some Thais with a badge or a uniform seem to think everything is their business.

She's in a government hospital which is very hot. She's needs some personal items but is not allowed to purchase them as cash is not allowed for use in the hospital. If there was any chance of a second infection (although appears very rare), she's certainly in the right place for it now.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My take, being the suspicious SOB about why and how things are done here. All had Covid and recovered, but they are so scared here about their ability to handle an outbreak that they don't believe they are free of it. Didn't she have a test when she got off the plane and it was fine? Then another test later while in quarantine indicated she was positive? IMO they want to fully test again, and again, blood included, to make absolutely sure, the first blood test the doctor didn't accept and ordered to do it yet again?! It's overkill, and apparently to hell with the rights of the person.

:rant:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

PeteC wrote:My take, being the suspicious SOB about why and how things are done here. All had Covid and recovered, but they are so scared here about their ability to handle an outbreak that they don't believe they are free of it. Didn't she have a test when she got off the plane and it was fine? Then another test later while in quarantine indicated she was positive? IMO they want to fully test again, and again, blood included, to make absolutely sure, the first blood test the doctor didn't accept and ordered to do it yet again?! It's overkill, and apparently to hell with the rights of the person.

:rant:
So will they do that for the Chinese
tourists too?!

Thought not...

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If these four people who recovered and who have now been swept up into the system are Thai, that also suggests something. They very well could be doing things that a non-Thai would not accept, or demand greater explanations that they're not in a position to give.

I'm convinced every human on the planet is going to eventually be exposed to this virus. Regardless of any vaccine, some will catch it and some won't. I think in months to come we're all going to have to accept that.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yes, they're all returning Thais. All had Covid in the US, recovered followed by 2 negative results 2 weeks apart (Thai Embassy rules). The fact she's had Covid and the two negative tests are stamped in her passport.
A Thai who hasn't suffered Covid doesn't need to be tested before returning. They only require a 'Fit to Fly' document which is just a declaration from a doctor that the subject has no symptoms.
They very well could be doing things that a non-Thai would not accept
Agreed.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:Yes, they're all returning Thais. All had Covid in the US, recovered followed by 2 negative results 2 weeks apart (Thai Embassy rules). The fact she's had Covid and the two negative tests are stamped in her passport.
A Thai who hasn't suffered Covid doesn't need to be tested before returning. They only require a 'Fit to Fly' document which is just a declaration from a doctor that the subject has no symptoms.
They very well could be doing things that a non-Thai would not accept
Agreed.
Re your last sentence... that's absurd!

Surely a person with TWO negatives 14 days apart is safer(less risk to others) than someone who's had no test at all, just a Doctor verifying no symptoms

Madness!

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree, but that's the rules. My daughter before she got Covid was quite pleased that she wasn't required to get a test as she'd have to find one that could produce the results within 72 hours, and the cost isn't cheap. As it turned out, she had to travel some way and pay for 3 tests, 1 positive and 2 negative.
Now, with what's happening to her here, she's almost wishing she'd stayed in the US for a while longer!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:I agree, but that's the rules. My daughter before she got Covid was quite pleased that she wasn't required to get a test as she'd have to find one that could produce the results within 72 hours, and the cost isn't cheap. As it turned out, she had to travel some way and pay for 3 tests, 1 positive and 2 negative.
Now, with what's happening to her here, she's almost wishing she'd stayed in the US for a while longer!
This has put me off trying to persuade my son to come here from UK and quarantine for 10/14 days to spend about 6 further week here.

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Here's your possible answer:

"Researchers are sounding the alarm after finding a case where a person was able to shed the virus that causes COVID-19 for 70 days despite having no symptoms."

https://www.livescience.com/woman-sheds ... -days.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?