British Education System

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: British Education System

Post by HHTel »

One of the modern inventions has become part of the problem.
My 3, 4, 6 and 11 year old grandchildren spend all their waking hours staring at their phone. This surely inhibits natural social skills and I read recently that some studies show that it also inhibits the ability to learn in the maths and science subjects.

My grandchildren's parents just accept the situation not realising that they're doing the kids no favours by letting them have free reign of their phones. Grandad here, doesn't understand I'm told.
My grandchildren don't have any physical friends. The 11 year old should be out and about with his mates. Instead, as soon as he's home from school, the phone's switched on and that's him until he has to go to school the following day.

So this old fella would like to see smart phones and social media banned or limited use for youngsters.

The internet is a fantastic tool the kids have today. If it was around in my day, I would have saved weeks attending the library. But that's not what the kids use the net for.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I blame the grandparents for giving a 3, 4, and a 6 year old access to a phone - what’s the world coming to?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My grandchildren's parents just accept the situation not realising that they're doing the kids no favours
Parents buy the kids their phones. Parents allow them free access.

I think you've got things mixed up. I have a problem doing much more than make a phone call!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:
My grandchildren's parents just accept the situation not realising that they're doing the kids no favours
Parents buy the kids their phones. Parents allow them free access.

I think you've got things mixed up. I have a problem doing much more than make a phone call!
I know it’s not easy, but as they are currently under your control, you could consider reducing access to their phones and introduce them to more active interests?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But they're not under my control. I have more than one daughter. One is stuck in the US and her kids are with me. The other is living with me with her kids. In effect my daughter here is in control. They're not separated in two 'control zones'. That wouldn't work.

But you are correct in thinking that if they were under my control, activities would be different.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:But they're not under my control. I have more than one daughter. One is stuck in the US and her kids are with me. The other is living with me with her kids. In effect my daughter here is in control. They're not separated in two 'control zones'. That wouldn't work.

But you are correct in thinking that if they were under my control, activities would be different.
Sorry, I thought it was the children of your daughter stuck in the USA - understand why it’s not so easy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHT, I'm surprised you haven't gone running and screaming off into the night yet! :laugh:

You're a better man than I. :thumb:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I did just that, Pete. Ran screaming into the night. It was so peaceful!
............then I woke up to the sound of kids fighting and found I was still here!

:banghead:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Ahhh grandchildren. I love mine but after 2-3 hours I am exhausted. It makes me wonder how we did it working full time and caring for the houseapes, I mean kids. HHTEL you have my respect and sympathy!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.