ED Visa to Retirement Visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

ED Visa to Retirement Visa

Post by Jack_Batty »

I only have eight months remaining on my current passport. I’m here on a student visa, which expires October 22nd. I want to switch to the retirement visa. According to the US Embassy-Bangkok website, they have a pretty big backlog of passports to process. My concern is that if I sent my passport to them today to get a new one, that they could not possibly get it back to me by the October 22nd deadline, let alone a week or so before. So my question boils down to this.....anyone here know if Immigration will issue a retirement visa on a passport with less than a year of life remaining on it?
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Re: ED Visa to Retirement Visa

Post by Jack_Batty »

Never mind. I decided to drive to Immigration, rather than be a lazybones. Got my question answered. Thanks for reading anyways.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Can you post what they told you as it may be something others will need to know. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

PeteC wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:49 pm Can you post what they told you as it may be something others will need to know. :cheers:
Sure, sorry about that. So...yes, I can switch to the retirement visa with only eight months remaining on my passport, but the visa expires when my passport expires. I did not find out if there was a minimum month threshold, i.e. can you still do it if your validity slips below six months, three months, etc. Also, you can only switch over within 45 days of the expiration of your current visa. Hope this helps someone.