Documentaries

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

Re: Documentaries

Post by buksida »

pharvey wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:53 am Planet Earth: A Celebration :bow: :bow:

On BBC iPlayer but sure available on the usual suspects.
Not on my 'usual suspects' and can't get iPlayer - got a dl link?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^It was only on TV a couple of days ago so you might have to give it another day or two.
This is the way
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

buksida wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:36 am
pharvey wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:53 am Planet Earth: A Celebration :bow: :bow:

On BBC iPlayer but sure available on the usual suspects.
Not on my 'usual suspects' and can't get iPlayer - got a dl link?
There's a low resolution version (720x400) on easynews.com, which probably means it's not worth watching. Given how recently the show aired, there should be higher resolution versions coming.

You can get* a 14 day, 50 GB trial at http://easynews.com/usenet-plans/ Easy news isn't a torrent site. It's direct download from USENET. That's where forums were before the web plus graphic browsers changed the Internet forever.

*Or I can check again in a week and post what I found.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

:thumb: nice one.

No point downloading wildlife docos in low res!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Another one from Attenborough, is "David Attenborough's Natural Curiosities" - it's one from a few years back, but have been watching episodes recently shown/repeated in the UK (Eden Channel) which I've found fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... s_episodes

These episodes I'm sure (buks) must be available from the "usual suspects".......

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've just watched 'Aircraft Carrier. Guardian of the Seas'.
It's a 2017 documentary but can be downloaded. I've just watched it on HDPrime.
Being ex-Royal Navy, I found it incredibly interesting. Ignoring the technology etc, there's one thing that I found very weird. Women at sea! There was even a female admiral.
I wonder how different the social life is compared with in my day. We used to have 'Best Baby Contests', 'Garden Parties' and S.O.D.S operas (Sailor's Operatic and Dramatic Society). And all these events happened without 'real' women!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Fyre

Not sure if mentioned, and at first glance it will seem like something you'd prefer to have salt rubbed into your eyes over watching ...

It's TV gold.

It's the real time filming of how some rich young tech dickheads got in way over their heads. Wanted a legendary vip event on an island. Something massive. And a lot of idiots signed up. 😂

Ended in FBI investigation, jail time and a bunch of folk stranded on an island.

The best bit is... someone filmed it! 🤣

Screenshot_20200910_135555.jpg
Screenshot_20200910_135555.jpg (53.47 KiB) Viewed 2597 times

Decent download below 2nd on the list.

https://www.pirate-bay.net/search?q=Fyre?q=Fyre
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Really enjoyed this one yesterday.

Class Action Park

Documentary of the 'world most dangerous theme park' Some of the animations they use to reenact an 'incident' are quite funny! :D

Screenshot_20200911_154655.jpg
Screenshot_20200911_154655.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
Here to download
https://www.pirate-bay.net/search?q=Cla ... ction+park
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Come on blue, get some reports from other than the ... well you know who. Yep, no place for these parks these days, but pretty sure we had much the same (danger-wise) when I was a kid and God only know's what brakes DM had on his "Kart"!! :D :wink:

Seriously though, rides/"Action Parks" these days are going over and beyond - so called "improved" safety (B*ll*cks), yet I could list a multitude of accidents in the UK/US/China etc. A young girl losing her leg on a ride in the UK (3 years ago?), rides "stalling", people being hung-up, hung upside down, passing-out etc., etc.

I know I'm getting old but the "Wooden Roller Coaster", the (old wooden) "Water Chute" and the "Dodgems" were good enough for me :wink: :oops:

As a kid, I was lucky enough to visit Florida's "Walt Disney World's Water World" - masses of water, Diving Boards, Rope Slides etc. etc., not too sure if it's still there, but I'll guarantee not the same. When I was there, it was certainly not the same health and safety as it is these days - yes, much needed but we could all swim and take care of ourselves (without the Internet).

:cheers: :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It was a kid's trike with a boot when I was aged 5-6 (came in handy once when I crapped myself on Wandworth Common :oops: ), but at least we could go out on our own and with our little mates in those days. Tooting Bec Lido en famille on those rare occasions when the weather allowed.

Something like this...

trike.jpg
(318.9 KiB) Downloaded 2107 times
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

The Last Dance

Charting the rise of the 1990's Chicago Bulls, led by Michael Jordan, one of the most notable dynasties in sports history.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8420184/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

As I have stated previously I have zero interest in American Netball :duck: and in the 90's I was vaguely aware of Michael Jordan mostly because of Nike Air trainers but I must say that this doco is hugely watchable and downloadable from yer usual vendors or watch it on Netflix :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Have to admit, I did enjoy that one myself. Quite an incredible dynasty.....
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:12 am It was a kid's trike with a boot when I was aged 5-6 (came in handy once when I crapped myself on Wandworth Common :oops: ), but at least we could go out on our own and with our little mates in those days. Tooting Bec Lido en famille on those rare occasions when the weather allowed.
A trike? A TRIKE??!! GOOD GOD MAN - What happened to the "Grifter", the "Chopper" (the widow broken bones maker), proper bikes!! :thumb:

Sorry.... :offtopic:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Extremely good doco running on Netflix at the moment about social media and its damaging influence. Made by the guys that worked on varios platforms for various tech giants, and they all warn about how insidious it is.

The Social Dilemma

A must watch for the all the facebook addicts on here (you know who you are!).