Kevlar Tyres

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Kevlar Tyres

Post by PeteC »

I've been reading this material was used in making racing tyres going back to the 1970's. I also saw a brief show that bicycle tires are now made of this stuff and almost indestructible.

Are general auto and motorcycle tires generally available with or made of Kevalar now?

Thailand would be a great place for them!
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Kevlar Tyres

Post by Dannie Boy »

I can only imagine that they will be very expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:04 pm I can only imagine that they will be very expensive

Had a Kevlar vest once, not too bad price wise at the time
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Now that I've had some time I've found some articles and offers. What I'm seeing a lot is a statement ..."a layer of kevlar".... I would imagine it may be one or two thin layers, whereas with a speciality or military tyre it may be several layers. It seems Goodyear has a monopoly on car and SUV Kevlar tyres, and there doesn't seem to be many or any for motorcycles. Bicycles seem to have the most manufacturers.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wr ... -adventure

https://www.amazon.com/slp/kevlar-tires/46vh5z465a6y3c3

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... =756&dpr=2
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I imagine they would be very popular with gangsters. No more shooting out the tires to stop them from escaping.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have a watch strap made of kevlar on the upper side, with leather below.
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It's used for puncture protection on high end mountain bike tyres. Although they look chunky, they're actually very thin for weight saving as they're basically a balloon tyre and without kevlar they get easily pierced by thorns.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

caller wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:56 am I have a watch strap made of kevlar on the upper side, with leather below.
Will it stop bullets?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:07 pm
caller wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:56 am I have a watch strap made of kevlar on the upper side, with leather below.
Will it stop bullets?
I joked about that when I bought it. But I'm in no rush to put it to the test!
Talk is cheap
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

migrant wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:04 pm I can only imagine that they will be very expensive

Had a Kevlar vest once, not too bad price wise at the time
Bullet proof ??? 555
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As a side comment.....It's a bit mind boggling to see the advancements in motorcar technology, both combustion and electric, but we've seen very little in the advancement of tyres. Not just for cars, but for everything that rolls on round wheels.

They're still sucking rubber from trees, mixing it with other ingredients, putting in some belts of various materials and violà...we have a tyre.

You would think by now there would be a completely new and different substitute material that would last for years. But of course, that may be the problem. Tyre companies lobbying governments etc.

Sounds very similar to the beer barons of Thailand and their obstructive practices. :shock: :idea:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It's called planned obsolescence.

In Calif. they are building roads out of recycled plastic and they will outlast the current road material. Seems like a good replacement for rubber.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The only difference I really see is a weight and volume saving with possibly a bit more puncture resistance. If you have sidewall damage you'll still have to replace the tyre, Kevlar or not. And with an ordinary tyre, punctures are repairable.
Side note: with the trends these days of not having a spare tyre with new cars, and instead including a glue repair kit, a simple puncture now becomes a replacement tyre..
วินเชนท์