Teaching beginner English to foreign children

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
PeteC

Teaching beginner English to foreign children

Post by PeteC »

No personal plans to do anything, just curious how one would go about it. I'm not really interested about what the books say about how it should be done, just a practical and fast way to give kids say 8-12 years of age speaking and some reading knowledge within a 6 month period. Pretend that these kids do not know even one word of English. Class would be 30 to 45 minutes five days a week. Is the 8 to 12 age problematic and require different teaching methods?

- Would you start with the alphabet and drill long and short letter sounds.

- Then put those sounds into short words.

- String the words into three word sentences.

- Example the past-present-future tenses of the words.

If you found yourself in the jungle with a primitive tribe of kids, how would you do it?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Teaching beginner English to foreign children

Post by migrant »

The only experience I have is the Korean nephews of my ex. They were around 5 and 8 when they arrived in the states and, along with their parents, could barely say Hi. Within 3 months of nothing but immersion I could talk to the kids in easy words, 6 months and conversations. Much better than the parents, Father still doesn't speak much english after 30 years! The young seem to have an open mind when it comes to learning. Too bad it turns off at the teens!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Teaching beginner English to foreign children

Post by HHTel »

As Migrant has indicated, it is important to speak ONLY English and not to attempt to enforce it using Thai. This goes against all Thais teaching English where their lessons utilise Thai language for 80% or more of the lesson.
Adding to Migrant's experience with Korean kids, my step daughter was just 6 years old when she arrived in the UK. She couldn't speak a word of English. She was thrown into school, where, of course, nobody spoke Thai. In one month she was already conversing with her classmates. After 6 months, I'd say her English was on a par with other 6 year olds.
Now I have grandchildren who visit and the only English they are in close contact with is myself. They understand most of what I say and they answer in English.
When you think of it, our native language was not learned by using another language to support it. When I was learning French at school, English was absolutely forbidden.

The trick, if you can call it that, is repeat, repeat and repeat again. You'll be surprised how quickly they work it out. Linguaphone has been very successful using that technique where the translated answers were only used as a last resort for checking your understanding.

With kids of the age you're talking about, it's important that the lesson is FUN. Forget the grammar. That will come in time. First and foremost is to get them to communicate. A bit of an uphill struggle as with a Thai teacher, they're told to be quiet and listen. We know that doesn't work.

Good luck if you decide to follow it through. It can be fun and very rewarding.