UK passport renewal

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

UK passport renewal

Post by HHTel »

Does anyone know if the UK passport offices are back at work. I know the unions won a temporary 'stay at home' order around a month ago.
Further to that, I understand from GPO websites that there is no mail between the UK and Thailand.

These restrictions couldn't have happened at a worse time for people whose passports are about to expire.
My passport expires at the end of December.
My current permission to stay expires in August.
I can renew my permission to stay in July but that will only give me until passport expiry.
It seems there is no guarantee that I would get my passport renewed and returned by year end.

Caller, I believe you are in a similar situation. Have you come up with a solution to the problem?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: [ADVERTORIAL] Key Visa Thailand

Post by Dannie Boy »

Have you checked the UK Gov website?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: UK passport renewal

Post by HHTel »

The UK Gov website says this regarding Thailand:
We are currently unable to accept applications from this country. Due to coronavirus (COVID-19), UK visa application centres are closed. We will update this page when the service becomes available.
No help at all. Just more worrying.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:00 amCaller, I believe you are in a similar situation. Have you come up with a solution to the problem?
Not really. I used Key visa.

I asked for an update, asking for confirmation my passport had been delivered to HMPO in Bkk and on 30 April (prompt reply), they confirmed it had, will be processed and had just received this reply:

COVID-19: In line with public health guidance, we are working with fewer staff. We are sorry that it will take longer than usual to process your passport application. Please do not contact us about progress: this will help ensure those who need us the most can get in touch.

Hopefully more staff will be returning to work in the UK now, so that the backlog can be dealt with. I would hope that those living abroad will be given some priority. Most renewals at any time aren't urgent, especially as in the UK right now, foreign travel is pretty much shut down.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks for that, Caller. I would use Key Visa also. How long did your renewal take?
I worry that if I apply for it now, it won't be back in time for my extension of stay. With that in mind, I was going to do the immigration bit in July, a month early, then apply using Key Visa.
That message I got off the Uk Gov website that says they are not accepting passport renewals from Thailand due to covid was worrying. So Key Visa have got around that?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:18 pm Thanks for that, Caller. I would use Key Visa also. How long did your renewal take?
I worry that if I apply for it now, it won't be back in time for my extension of stay. With that in mind, I was going to do the immigration bit in July, a month early, then apply using Key Visa.
That message I got off the Uk Gov website that says they are not accepting passport renewals from Thailand due to covid was worrying. So Key Visa have got around that?
Well, mine is still in the process of renewal.

I don't really understand how HMPO can not accept passport renewals. By doing so, they are placing people in a position of risk. The only thing I could think of was how to ship applications back and forth? But I thought they went by courier and in an emergency, the data submitted at HMPO could be sent online. I know the Embassy will issue a travel document if push comes to shove, but I'm not exactly sure what that covers? By it's very name, it doesn't seem designed to help expats.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son's passport and a friend's passport were sent together. Darren at Key Visa assured us they would be submitted to Trendy House when they resumed work on 1st May.

His words to me on 21 April
they will be re open within the next 10 days we are always in contact with them
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

I submitted mine via Key Visa around mid-March. HMPO finally took payment from my credit card on May 5th, so hopefully it is in process. There is a detailed post on this on the other forum, and some seriously stressed out people.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Some positive news for a change:

Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Yesterday I received an SMS from DHL most unexpectedly, which told me that my passport is due for delivery to VFS Bangkok this Friday (applied mid/late March).

Timeline so far:
Application sent to agent: March 14th
Received by agent: March 16th
Application made to VFS by agent: between March 17th-March 27th
Payment deducted by HPMO: May 5th
Notification from HMPO: May 28th - generic email saying services slowed down by C19 - during prior emails, they had not been able to verify any application having been made.
Notified passport sent from UK: June 3rd
Date due to be received at VFS: June 5th

I shall update.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Update=

Old passport sent to agent: June 5th
New passporr recieved in Hua Hin: June 11th