Clearing brown pool water in a free standing pool

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Clearing brown pool water in a free standing pool

Post by HHTel »

I've just taken delivery of a large circular INTEX pool for the kids. It's 15ft across and about a mtr deep.
Excellent piece of kit. However, filling it up from mains water via a large underground tank I have, it appears that it's gonna have a brown tinge. Only to be seen in large lumps of water. I've always considered the water clear.
I have a filter pump on order. My question is: Will the small filter attached to this pool clear the water?
If not, is there another way of clearing the water. I'm sure it's harmless but I'd rather the kids swim in what I'd call clear water.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Clearing brown pool water in a free standing pool

Post by Nereus »

Will the small filter attached to this pool clear the water?
If we knew how big the filter is we may be able to help! Also, better to use the same units to calculate the volume of water. What size pump is circulating the water?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not received it yet but it's advertised as 1,000 gallons per hour. Is that any help?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The pool capacity is 3,736 gallons.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The following is the recommended "turn over rate".
Turnover Rate
Turnover rate is the number of hours it takes for the total volume of the pool to pass through the filtration. According to the Gage-Bidwell Law of Dilution, water that is recirculated three to four times per day, or every six to eight hours, will achieve 95 to 98 percent dilution of contaminated pool water with water that has been filtered and disinfected.
This essentially means that for your pool water to be adequately disinfected and filtered, the entire volume of water needs to pass through the filter and sanitation system at least three to four times per day. In order to do this, you will need to set your pool pump at the correct flow rate for the size of your pool.
Does it have some form of sanitizing the water? Just pumping the water through a filter alone is a trap.

Be aware that a lot of the pump flow charts advertised on the internet are for 60 Hz motors, it is about 10% less for 50 Hz.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry to be a pain but I'm right out of my comfort zone.
This is the exact pump I've ordered. It is advertised as a cartridge filter.
It's from their US website so the voltage reflects that. The supply here (from abroad - I guess China) is the correct voltage.

https://www.intexcorp.com/products/abov ... with-gfci/
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I would be concerned about the voltage since it states 110 - 120 volts. In order to use that pump you would have to have a voltage converter. Assuming that because it comes from China that the voltage will be 220 could be a big mistake.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

brianks wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:38 am I would be concerned about the voltage since it states 110 - 120 volts. In order to use that pump you would have to have a voltage converter. Assuming that because it comes from China that the voltage will be 220 could be a big mistake.
Some 120 volt motors can be reconnected internally for 220 volts, but I doubt very much such a small pump is one of them.

Sorry, I also doubt that the size of that filter will be of much use. You would be better off buying a small local electric pump, a decent sized filter and pay somebody 500 Baht to set it up if you cannot do it yourself.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks Nereus.

Regarding the voltage. As I stated, that was taken from the US website. I'm not buying from the US and the voltage on the one I've ordered is 220 as stated on the product description.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:30 am Thanks Nereus.

Regarding the voltage. As I stated, that was taken from the US website. I'm not buying from the US and the voltage on the one I've ordered is 220 as stated on the product description.
As you have already ordered it all you can do is try it when it arrives. Plumb it in in with a couple of shut off valves so that you can clean it without losing any water.

You have not answered about sanitizing the water. You definitely need something, DO NOT let the kids play in it with out it. You should also buy a cheap instrument to check the pH of the water at the very least.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There is one linked at the bottom of that entry for 2,172 which appears to be the same spec.

So how would you go about sanitizing the water?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:21 pm There is one linked at the bottom of that entry for 2,172 which appears to be the same spec.

So how would you go about sanitizing the water?
Basically you use chlorine, but it is not just a matter of throwing in a handful! Have a read of the following, including the sub articles.Tablets may be a good option as you can put them in a floating basket, but you may need more to establish the correct level. The IMPORTANT thing is you MUST sanitize the water.

https://poolcareguy.com/sodium-hypochlorite-pool/

https://www.swimuniversity.com/calcium-hypochlorite/
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks for those links, Nereus. I'm about to get educated.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Yes, you will become "educated" for several months after setting up. Seemingly no end to little situations that crop up. Too me well over 6 months to get a basic handle on the situation. 8 years later am still learning. Pools can keep you busy.