Covid-19 News & Updates (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
buksida

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by buksida »

I think the point being made was: lets keep UK politics and bickering out of this thread, and keep it on Covid-19 news, preferably Thailand related.

Thailand discovers one new coronavirus infection; Australian hotel owner dies from infection
Thailand’s government said on Wednesday that it had discovered one new coronavirus infection bringing the total number of infected to 2,989.

It is the second day in a row that the number of new infections was just one. The new infection was a Thai woman returning from Russia. 70 other people who had travelled in the same plane are now being monitored. No others have symptoms.

There was 1 new fatality with the death toll now at 55.

The new fatality was an Australian national that owned a hotel in Phang Nga.

14 more patients have recovered from the virus bringing the total number of discharged patients to 2,761.

The government said on Wednesday said that 40 suspected cases from Yala province had tested negative in government testing centers.

Government spokesman Dr Thaweesin Visanuyothin said on Wednesday that the government was adjusting its testing parameters after weeks of low infection rates.

The government will relax criteria and widen the search for coronavirus infections in a bit to stomp out the disease.

“The results of these findings will be made available to the public in the coming weeks,” he said.

The government said on Monday that it had tested 227,860 samples total.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/12734/thai ... infection/

So ... Thailand has tested 0.326% of its total population. That'll provide some accurate figures on infections and deaths ... :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Big Boy. I think we have to agree to disagree.

This is the opening lines of my OP yesterday which was reported by the BBC(No newspaper) YESTERDAY

One of the documents just released could raise an awkward question for Prime Minister Boris Johnson. It spells out how behavioural scientists were advising the UK government to stop people shaking hands or hugging.

Now if that isn't current news or newsworthy by your standard I don't know what is. :cheers:

Not my problem if some members don't read the report fully.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, Prof Ferguson is current news. The 2 month old handshake was not. If you wish to continue the 2 month old handshake discussion, please start a new thread away from Covid News, probably in Current Affairs. Now no more discussion on the handshake please.

:offtopic:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Agreed. I thought the 'handshake' saga had been put to bed and wrongly assumed you were referring to Professor 'Lockdown' as he was known.
However, Buksi has pointed out that this thread is only about covid news in Thailand.

Accepted.
buksida

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:20 pm However, Buksi has pointed out that this thread is only about covid news in Thailand.
Preferably Thailand I said, as that is the basis of this forum. This thread is not the place to discuss UK politics.

:offtopic:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

sateeb wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:54 amBut experts say it could be months before full global comparisons can be made.
Sorry, this one is about Europe, just seen the post above. At least, to a degree, we have a better idea of what is happening there, compared to here in Thailand.

Typical of the beeb to add a throwaway line which should be centre stage.

As The Italian National Health Institute has said, that in a period of just exceeding one month (+ 11 days), their death rate was 25,000 higher than the average. Only 13,700 were classed as Covid deaths and in parts of Italy during this period, death rates fell, in Rome, by 9.4%, (possibly less 'normal' flu, car crashes etc due to lockdown), so the amount of cases attributed to Covid could be massively under counted. (from The Times this morning)

The UK are counting cases even where no testing has taken place, as a Doctor can still add Covid to a death certificate.

Another question is with less crowded cities, a sparse population and so on, is why Scotland's infection rate is higher than England, also why in the UK, BAME communities seem more susceptible to the virus. All these factors will be explored in due course to understand exactly what happened. And I am sure other Countries will do similar.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
DTHH

Post by DTHH »

buksida wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:06 pmThere was 1 new fatality with the death toll now at 55.

The new fatality was an Australian national that owned a hotel in Phang Nga.
Sadly, the new fatality was based in Hua Hin for more than a decade, was behind Hua Hin Cricket Sixes and his family are from the province. RIP Khun John :(
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Has Thailand actually said what their strategy is. Are we going end up splitting the world where country's that have claimed to have eliminated the virus allow free travel between them and everyone is is in quarantine. How long before anyone can go back to Europe and then return to Thailand.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

nil wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:43 pm Has Thailand actually said what their strategy is. Are we going end up splitting the world where country's that have claimed to have eliminated the virus allow free travel between them and everyone is is in quarantine. How long before anyone can go back to Europe and then return to Thailand.
Nothing that I've read yet Nil, and I read just about everything. I don't think they know and are just operating day by day. A lot depends upon what other countries do. It's got to be a coordinated approach.

Australia and New Zealand may implement a "special corridor" only for citizens of their countries. When asked about opening up fully the New Zealand PM said "Not for a long, long time..."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

nil wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:43 pm Has Thailand actually said what their strategy is. Are we going end up splitting the world where country's that have claimed to have eliminated the virus allow free travel between them and everyone is is in quarantine. How long before anyone can go back to Europe and then return to Thailand.
I think it's going to be at least autumn for most European countries before they allow non-essential long distance travel. France has said they were thinking about October 30th and Germany has mentioned similar ideas.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

STEVE G wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:20 pm
I think it's going to be at least autumn for most European countries before they allow non-essential long distance travel. France has said they were thinking about October 30th and Germany has mentioned similar ideas.

Steve g. Where did the france and germany october info come from. Not saying its fiction. Just interested. I would be gutted and have been clinging to a july visit to thailand

Regards

Andy
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A lot depends upon what other countries do.
But ... but.... but... There are countries out there (one big one included) that have thousands of new infections daily and hundreds of deaths also daily, and they're relaxing many of the most important restrictions. "We need to get the country open!" said one stable genius!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

ahandpatsy wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:45 pm
STEVE G wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:20 pm

Steve g. Where did the france and germany october info come from. Not saying its fiction. Just interested. I would be gutted and have been clinging to a july visit to thailand

Regards

Andy
They're from reports in the European press but no decisions have been made by any country so the situation is fluid. I too would be very happy to get back to my Thai home as well but I doubt it will be happening any time soon.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

USA -- 4.25% of world population --- 28% of Covid deaths
UK ----0.87% of world population --- 11% of covid deaths.