Summer Colds

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Summer Colds

Post by sateeb »

For the past few weeks I,ve had days when i run a slight fever, runny nose all day and sneezing fits. The next day all is back to normal. A few days later i get the same. I know it's not Covid so I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same symptoms. :cheers:

PS I am self- isolating and masked up if I have to nip out to the shops.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Summer Colds

Post by caller »

Could theses be hayfer-ish / allergy type symptoms?
Talk is cheap
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Possibly, I was quite a bad sufferer in the UK but never had a problem here in the past 16yrs. No itchy eyes.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I always suffered badly with hay fever in the UK, controlled by meds and did so when I lived in Korat, controlled by the same meds! But since being here, it Has pretty much disappeared, can't recall if I ever got a fever, but runny nose and sneezing hit the mark, plus breathing affected as well.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter is asthmatic and suffers badly with hayfever if she doesn't take her meds. This is in the UK. However, she's been coming to Thailand for more than 20 years (one visit for 12 months on a ED visa) and strangely enough, she doesn't get hayfever or the need to use her inhaler when she's here.
She first came when she was 14 and the situation was the same.

Looking around the net, it appears quite common that hayfever sufferers from the west don't have a problem here. I can't find any reason why. Maybe someone knows.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I sometimes get those symptoms when the air conditioner needs cleaning and blows the dust particles around.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:10 pm I sometimes get those symptoms when the air conditioner needs cleaning and blows the dust particles around.
Both AC units cleaned in the past few weeks :cheers:

In relation to hay fever, and this is only my theory, in the UK I generally suffered in late May and throughout June and I think I must have been susceptible to one or two certain types of pollen that are not indigenous to Thailand :cheers:

― George Carlin
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I too suffer from hayfever and found living in Thailand made life considerably easier. When I first came to Hua Hin thirty years ago I rarely had any problems but in recent years the symptoms returned. Things improve when I go out to Nongplab and return once I am back in Hua Hin. I have noticed that going to places less populated by foreigners improves things. I used to play golf and never had any problems on any of the courses despite regular grass cutting which would indicate it is certain types of pollen that set me off. As more and more foreigners move into the area there are more and more flowers/shrubs etc being grown and I can only think this has not helped my own situation and probably that of others who are sensitive to the same types of pollen.
It may well be the increase in pollution too but my own thoughts are that the flowers etc have a lot to answer for.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Thanks for all the input guys. At this moment in time I'm ruling out Hay Fever as my symptoms come and go on a day by day basis.

Thus far today I am fine :cheers:

― George Carlin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I had the same problem for a couple of years after moving here. It was suggested it was aircon at night. We did the unthinkable, and stopped using overnight aircon - the problem stopped immediately.

I honestly didn't think it would be possible to sleep without aircon, but I wouldn't consider it now.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I was also thinking aircon but the intermitancy (is that a word?) throws me.

― George Carlin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Mine wasn't constant, just a never ending series of mini-colds. Try it - it is easier than you think, and the electricity bill plummets. Even if the colds don't go, you'll have a few ฿ extra in your pocket.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've had something similar for a few months, just a little cough now and then that comes and goes. Never attributed it to a/c and we didn't have it on over 'winter' but do a bit now. It could also be that epic air pollution in Thailand that everyone has been talking about. :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

@sateeb So how's your "hay fever" been the last few days when the air in Hua Hin has been poisonous in the mornings? This morning it's currently aqi 175 according to air visual.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

@hhinner..Funny you should ask, I had a few sneezes and a runny nose early doors today but it seems to have cleared up. :cheers:

― George Carlin