Khao Tao Lake

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Re: Khao Tao Lake

Post by Big Boy »

The fishing is free, and the only fish I've seen come out are Snakeheads - vicious beasts. Nice size though, and you can keep what you catch. There may be more varieties, but I'd guess the Snakeheads will have eaten most of it.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:52 pm The fishing is free, and the only fish I've seen come out are Snakeheads - vicious beasts. Nice size though, and you can keep what you catch. There may be more varieties, but I'd guess the Snakeheads will have eaten most of it.
Thanks BB - had to look up "Snakeheads" have to admit. Look and sound vicious buggers, but apparently good to eat! :thumb:

"Snakehead is an excellent fish to eat, the meat is firm, white and flaky. This allows the fish to be prepared in many different ways. It holds up well to pan frying, grilling, and oven preparation."

http://www.realestnature.com/can-you-eat-snakehead/

Might just go for a walk and then a sit down with a rod and a beer on our next visit (now confirmed :D )

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not sure how productive the lake is. A few fishermen had multiple rods - one had 10. I think it's fairly well fished out, but somebody here mat know better than me. I've never fished there, but Mrs BB has been gifted a couple snakeheads over the years by those who do fish the lake.

Points 51; Position 21
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Before they put those fancy stainless steel railings around the lake, there used to be some "No fishing" signs that I saw the locals using as rod rests!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

:lach:
STEVE G wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:51 pm Before they put those fancy stainless steel railings around the lake, there used to be some "No fishing" signs that I saw the locals using as rod rests!
:lach:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:24 pm I'm not sure how productive the lake is. A few fishermen had multiple rods - one had 10. I think it's fairly well fished out, but somebody here mat know better than me. I've never fished there, but Mrs BB has been gifted a couple snakeheads over the years by those who do fish the lake.
The LHG can fish with chopsticks!!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Mrs M, and I, have enjoyed a few great meals at S Ken's Bistro which is across the street from the lake after a walk around. I don't know the owner, no financial connection either.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

migrant wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:12 pm Mrs M, and I, have enjoyed a few great meals at S Ken's Bistro which is across the street from the lake after a walk around. I don't know the owner, no financial connection either.
Sounds like a good few hours out - decent walk in the morning, spot of lunch, nice beer (possible fishing)....
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:51 pm Before they put those fancy stainless steel railings around the lake, there used to be some "No fishing" signs that I saw the locals using as rod rests!
I do recall seeing at least one 'no fishing' sign fixed to the railing. Perhaps BB can find it upon his next 2.2km loop.
Usually seen someone fishing there though when I run it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I noticed the No Fishing signs adjacent to the monument in the water i.e.here's the monument and there's a little pier. Fishing from the pier was banned + a few yards either side. Those were the only restrictions I could see.
DSC01605.jpg
DSC01605.jpg (97.6 KiB) Viewed 718 times

Points 51; Position 21
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

The one I have always noticed was right as the other side.

When I do my 'extended' beach run from Takiab I join the lake path right about where you are standing BB and then exit the road that takes you back up to the cycling path (crossing the railway).

If I want to do a half marathon I take the small path on the south which gets you to the Sai noi beach road then I run up to the army checkpoint and u-turn. You should take a walk up there sometime. Beautiful flora and usually a peacock to be seen.
Last edited by Ginjaninja on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I didn't see any other fishing restrictions, but my son will be running it tomorrow evening, so I'll walk it again whilst he is running.

I've been up as far as the army check point before. You are right, lovely flowers.

Points 51; Position 21
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

This is the location of the Army checkpoint I am referring to for those who are interested. Assuming you cannot cross the checkpoint.

Army checkpoint near Sai Noi beach

I have always been told that this hill is a secret location for a certain female V.I.P. high up the food chain to play some cards. Curious to know if anyone knows why the army is there otherwise.
I've had a look at the Google Maps satellite image and cannot see any infrastructure.

Although if there is any truth in the secret cave one would not see from above... :idea:

GN.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:31 am I didn't see any other fishing restrictions, but my son will be running it tomorrow evening, so I'll walk it again whilst he is running.
On the walk around that Mrs B insists we do with the dog (Her way of making me excecise to ward off excessive chunkiness!) have noticed about half a dozen signs restricting fishing to certain hours in the morning and evening.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I will look carefully tomorrow. Are the signs in Thai or English? If in English, I'm surprised I missed them - I normally check out all notices.

Points 51; Position 21