Thai Driving License renewal

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
FarangJon
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Thai Driving Licence 2019

Post by FarangJon »

Forgot 2 things. Got my medical
Certificate at the Sumet Clinic opposite soi 80 for 140 Baht. Got 12 photos printed in Market village on the 3rd floor at the camera store near the movie theater for 120 Baht. The Kodak store near Sumet has become a big ripoff at 200 Baht for 6 photos.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's been a while, but I thought that photos were not required at the DLT as they use their own camera.

They are needed for the residency certificate though, I think.
FarangJon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by FarangJon »

Yes they were for the residency certificates.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Guys, we have plenty of threads about driving in Thailand. Can we keep this to Driving Licence please. Irrelevant posts moved here https://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=38747
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Scout
Professional
Professional

Re: Thai Driving License 2019

Post by Scout »

My car driving license expired 11 days ago, while I was traveling outside of the country. I renewed it today in Pranburi and received my new license that expires in just under 6 years. Cost was 505 baht, had to sit for 1 hour of video training, pass the rudimentary color blindness, depth perception and reaction time tests. I arrived at 8:40am, started the film at 9:00am and departed at 11:20am with my new license. Documents required were Residence Letter from Immigration, copy of all relevant Passport pages, Passport and old license. It was relatively easy.
RegularGuy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RegularGuy »

How many days/months early can I renew my Thai drivers license?
I currently have a two year auto license and will be looking to get my 5 year license. I will be out of country and was looking to renew as early as possible before I go. I read somewhere that I could renew 3 months before expiration date. Can anyone confirm if this is possible from one of our local Land Transport offices if this is possible.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm not sure if it's changed, but the rule used to be that it couldn't be renewed until it had expired (silly rule).
However, you have 12 months after expiry to renew it with no penalty. Your licence runs out on your birthday, and the advantage of leaving it until after your birthday gives you 5 years from your next birthday which can amount to almost 6 years.
paul406

Post by paul406 »

I got my Drivers license renewed in Pranburi, December, 2019 1 week before it was to expire.
No issue about renewing a week early.
RegularGuy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RegularGuy »

My biggest concern about driving with an expired license is that if I get into an accident. My understanding is that my insurance may not cover me for damages because my license is not active.
Also, getting ticketed by the the police would be another issue.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That happened to me a while back. Was stopped on one of these routine road blocks. Showed my licence and the cop pointed out that it had expired. I really didn't know. However, the policeman gave me back my licence and told me to renew it asap.

You're probably correct regarding insurance. However, it's the vehicle that's insured in Thailand and not the driver, so even then it may not prevent the insurance cover.
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

Hi,

I need to obtain the letter from Immigration confirming my residence to renew my licence ...... what do I need?

Is there a form that I need to fill out before hand? Do I need a photo?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
FarangJon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by FarangJon »

Don East Stand wrote:Hi,

I need to obtain the letter from Immigration confirming my residence to renew my licence ...... what do I need?

Is there a form that I need to fill out before hand? Do I need a photo?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
They have the forms at immigration or you can find them using google. Take proof of your address (lease) and proof that the owner registered you at that address. It’s simple as they have a separate office just for the forms. Take the usual passport photos and copies of your passport pages including the latest stamps. Lady is nice and very efficient.
PeteC

Re: Thai Driving License renewal 2019-20

Post by PeteC »

The issuing and renewal of licences has been suspended during this time of Covid-19. Story below.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/is ... ncy-decree
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Well, I finally got a Thai driving licence (car) this morning which sort of hopefully takes care of the "Does my International Permit cover my derriere for insurance purposes after 3 months of being back in the country?" issue. I'd heard so many different opinions about that that I just decided, "do it". Even the insurance company said I was fine on the IDP as long as it was valid. But I was told by others, "don't believe a word".

Anyway, I'm not really adding anything to the thread as getting the residency letter from Imm was easy and quick and the health certificate was issued with a minimum of fuss.

However, there were a couple of things at Pranburi this morning that I thought would be needed, but weren't. Namely, I didn't have to sit through a video for an hour and there was no reaction test. All I had to do was look at some cards to check for colour blindness. It was all very easy.

Until!!! At the document check stage, I'd handed over the photocopies I had together with my passport, IDP and UK licence. Didn't have copies of the IDP so the missus went off to do them. I got the IDP back and that was that. I mentioned to my wife that I had to make sure I got the passport and UK licence back.

Upstairs, after paying and doing the colour blindness check, they gave my passport back but no UK licence. "Excuse me, where's my UK licence?" "We don't have it, check downstairs".

I get my Thai licence, go back downstairs and ask the lady for my UK licence. "What!! I don't have it. You never gave it to me!!" "Er, yes I did". "Go and get your wife". There then followed about 3-4 minutes to and fro. The woman was adamant that I hadn't given her the UK licence and I was despairing and muttering "bloody marvelous. I get one new licence but lose another". Until, my wife asked whether they still had the A4 envelope that the photocopies were in?

And yes, there it was. The Thai lady was going a bit berserk so just tipped everything out onto the desk. And yes, there the licence was.

Now, the only papers in that envelope originally were the copies. My passport and licences were in my man bag. So, the checker lady had just put it in there and forgotten about it. I thought it had gone upstairs with my passport.

That was lucky. I could only imagine a future world of grief back in the UK the next time I go without my UK licence and wanting to drive. And I've never photocopied the damn thing. That gets done tomorrow.

The moral of the story? Be damn sure you know which original documents you've handed over. Luckily, I was and it all ended up happy ever after.

I can chuckle about it now but at around 10.30 this morning I wasn't too happy and was doing my best to keep calm.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

We all like a happy ending!!