TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: TV series worth downloading

Post by Homer »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:31 am Breaking Bad, series 1 episode 1, here we go. See you in a week or two...
Many have started this series with high expectations. After a few season 1 episodes they were disappointed because the series did not match how others described it. Stick with it. The show has to establish why Walt breaks bad. More importantly, it has to establish the personalities and dynamics of Walt and his family before he breaks bad.

Happy binging!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Homer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:47 am Many have started this series with high expectations. After a few season 1 episodes they were disappointed because the series did not match how others described it. Stick with it.
Well, I confess I'm struggling... The main reaction I have at the moment is a feeling of intense irritation at how stupid the behaviour of the main characters is. I'm only half way through episode 2, so as advised, I'll stick with it for a while, but another series is awaiting my attention - Peaky Blinders. I do like a good romance...
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Peaky Blinders is very good as well - just get passed the first 2 minutes when they speak in foreign tongues, although with your linguistic abilities, you probably wouldn't notice :D .
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:23 pm
Homer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:47 am Many have started this series with high expectations. After a few season 1 episodes they were disappointed because the series did not match how others described it. Stick with it.
Well, I confess I'm struggling... The main reaction I have at the moment is a feeling of intense irritation at how stupid the behaviour of the main characters is. I'm only half way through episode 2, so as advised, I'll stick with it for a while, but another series is awaiting my attention - Peaky Blinders. I do like a good romance...
I found it interesting after the first couple seasons but not noteworthy like many others.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:23 pm Well, I confess I'm struggling... The main reaction I have at the moment is a feeling of intense irritation at how stupid the behaviour of the main characters is. I'm only half way through episode 2, so as advised, I'll stick with it for a while, but another series is awaiting my attention - Peaky Blinders. I do like a good romance...
It gets better. Walt isn't stupid, quite the opposite. He's been beaten down by life so he has little confidence in himself. His life is mostly on autopilot, so he's reacting and not anticipating. He has no street smarts. In episode 3 Walt has to go off autopilot.

Jesse isn't smart, in the book learning sense. He can learn when it's important to him. He will learn from Walt. Jessie has street smarts, which Walt learns from him.

Episodes 4 & 5 are essential to understanding Walt's breaking bad, and why he and Jesse team up. They're also boring because of all the family and cancer stuff. In episodes 6 & 7, Walt has found enough confidence to head out on his new path - one that he planned. It seemed to me that those 2 episodes were intended to tell the audience that we're done with the setup, now hold on tight because we're going to crank up the speed (no puns intended).
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve been watching a new series on BBC called “The Capture” and found it really good. It’s based on a soldier who was initially charged with murdering non-combatants in Afghanistan and spends time in jail before being released and then develops into something in civi life based on the principle of “the camera doesn’t lie”............or does it? Well worth a watch IMO.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

A bit late but I've just watched the 1st episode of The Capture and agree that it is well worth a looksee.

Now, Aussie TV, having grown up with Aus shows like The Magic Boomerang, Skippy, Bluey etc etc i've never really been inclined to watch any recent stuff but 2 shows starring the excellent Tim Minchin are well worth a look.

Squinters
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7510830/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1

Upright
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8765446/?r ... flmg_act_2

Both quirky comedies that have got me hooked.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Guilt(BBC Scotland so it's on the I player) was excellent, I highly recommend it.

I would also like to second the reccomendation for The Capture

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

dtaai-maai wrote:Right, I've put it off long enough, it's time to take a deep breath and dive in. I'm reliably assured this will change my life. But do I want my life to change...?

No, it's now or never. What harm can it do? Don't be a wimp, just do it.

Breaking Bad, series 1 episode 1, here we go. See you in a week or two...
Did you complete the full set?

One of the best of the last decade for me

But the Daddy of them all is...... (drumroll)......... Homeland!

And don't be put off by the fairly mediocre Series 1, it gets way better than that.

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Quote...But the Daddy of them all is...... (drumroll)......... Homeland!

And don't be put off by the fairly mediocre Series 1, it gets way better than that.

I disagree, Homeland Season 1 and 2 probably best of the lot, got a bit silly after that and I gave up during Season 4.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

sateeb wrote:Quote...But the Daddy of them all is...... (drumroll)......... Homeland!

I disagree, Homeland Season 1 and 2 probably best of the lot, got a bit silly after that and I gave up during Season 4.
As you say we'll just have to disagree but I think 5 6 & 7 are outstanding and I really feel you've missed out on those.

Hey ho, such is life...

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:11 pm
sateeb wrote:Quote...But the Daddy of them all is...... (drumroll)......... Homeland!

As you say we'll just have to disagree but I think 5 6 & 7 are outstanding and I really feel you've missed out on those.

Hey ho, such is life...

I have to agree with Sateeb, I thought Homeland started off really well but as the series continued, I lost more and more interest.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

If you want a good political thriller I would highly recommend a Norwegian series "Occupied". Very binge worthy and Series 3 has just dropped. Available on Netflix and Limetorrents.

― George Carlin
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

sateeb wrote:If you want a good political thriller I would highly recommend a Norwegian series "Occupied". Very binge worthy and Series 3 has just dropped. Available on Netflix and Limetorrents.

Watched trailer looks very good and my kind of thing, I'll give it a whirl, thanks

Keep 'em comin Image

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Very enjoyable :cheers:

― George Carlin