Jack from Seattle

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Jack from Seattle

Post by Jack_Batty »

Hello everyone. Signed up for this forum a couple weeks ago, and I guess it’s time to introduce myself. I’m turning 50 in October and retiring from the police force. Thought it would be nice to head on over to Thailand and see if retirement there would suit me. I’m coming to Hua Hin on a one-year education visa, and I will be taking Thai lessons at Sirida. I’m very much looking forward to it, and I hope to meet some new friends who can show me the ropes. Been watching Jonny There Is Something Happening on YouTube, and it’s been a little informative of life in Hua Hin.
perfectvolley

Re: Jack from Seattle

Post by perfectvolley »

Hi Jack,

always good to see new faces here in HH. I am in my 50th too. What we need here are some good tennis players....
When will you come here? In oktober or sooner. If you need any advise you can contact me.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Coming for a year while you explore your options, that is ideal. RENT, do not commit for more than 3 months and rent in different areas of town.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Welcome to the forum Jack. Feel free to ask away if you have any specific questions, there is a font of knowledge among some of the members on here.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

perfectvolley wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:42 pm Hi Jack,

always good to see new faces here in HH. I am in my 50th too. What we need here are some good tennis players....
When will you come here? In oktober or sooner. If you need any advise you can contact me.

Unfortunately, I haven’t played tennis since my navy days, 30 years ago. Even then, I wasn’t very good. Anyways, I will be there the first week of November. Thank you for future advice!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

buksida wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:41 pm Welcome to the forum Jack. Feel free to ask away if you have any specific questions, there is a font of knowledge among some of the members on here.
Thank you very much! I already feel very welcome. BTW, love your avatar. TBL is one of my favorite movies. When I get to Hua Hin maybe we can meet and discuss it over a round or two of caucasians!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:30 pm Coming for a year while you explore your options, that is ideal. RENT, do not commit for more than 3 months and rent in different areas of town.
Thanks for the advice. Because I was thinking about signing a year-long lease. Three months is a good idea though.
desmonddez
Novice
Novice

Post by desmonddez »

Hi there!
I am Desmond. I will be living in Thailand for the next three years.
I have a son and I'd like to find friends for him here.

Cheers!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

desmonddez wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:26 pm Hi there!
I am Desmond. I will be living in Thailand for the next three years.
I have a son and I'd like to find friends for him here.

Cheers!
Hi, Desmond. I don’t have children myself, but I bet a lot of other people in this forum do. If I were you, I would post something on the white board. Good luck!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Update: I’ve been here for over 50 days now, and loving life here very much! I think I’ve made the right decision. I’m attending classes at Sirida two days per week, with a two-hour session in the morning, and a two-hour session in the afternoon. My three-month lease at Bang Kiang Fah expires at the end of January and I’m very much looking forward to finding a place closer to the main center of town.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The RENT DON'T BUY advice applies to lady friends as well as housing.