Chikungunya

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
PeteC

Chikungunya

Post by PeteC »

I didn't know what this was so link at the bottom tells more about it. Another mosquito virus. Concern for HH is that it's in the south but spreading northward. Pete
Published: 29/05/2009 at 11:56 AM

In the past five months, 22,276 people have been found to be infected with the chikungunya virus, according to the Public Health Ministry.

Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai, who opened a campaign to combat the virus in the southern province of Phatthalung, said the rapid spread of the virus from the lower South to the upper South between January and May was alarming.

Infected people had been found in 28 provinces, he said. None of them had died from the disease.

Songkhla has the most infections, with 9,078 people being treated, followed by Narathiwat, with 7,011 and Pattani, with 2,942.

The disease causes joint pain and a high fever.

https://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Chikungunya

Post by Big Boy »

An old post, but 2 very good friends have been struck down with it recently. What a nasty beastie it is too - no cure, you just have to suffer for up to 2 years. My friends are in agony - very swollen joints, a lot of itchiness, peeling skin, numbness in limbs, no appetite, can't sleep. One of my friends even had to cut a shoe yesterday to get it on to his foot.

Scariest thing though is they are now carriers. If a non-infected mossie bites them, and then me, I'm likely to become infected with their blood.

I was looking at some stats. 2017 - 10 cases, 2018 - 3,000 cases, 2019 - 10,000 cases. Not as bad as 2009, but seems to be on the increase again.

Definitely one to avoid.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Chikungunya

Post by laphanphon »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:00 amScariest thing though is they are now carriers. If a non-infected mossie bites them, and then me, I'm likely to become infected with their blood.
Yes, same as Dengue fever.

Wonder how many are not actually tested, and misdiagnosed as having Dengue instead, as symptoms are about the same. Might be a lot more prevalent than thought.