Pea Gravel

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Pea Gravel

Post by fft100 »

Having completed the drainage pipes, stone filled the trench and edging bricks, I now want to fill the path with 10cm of pea gravel.

The usual gray gravel here is 'ok', but brownish or whitish pea gravel (see attachment) looks a lot more attractive. I have seen bags of 18kg for 109 baht, but I would like about 5 cu. Metres. Or more... I have asked around, but I have been told that this is natural Stone that comes from the Mekong and that shops here who sell it cannot get it loose but get it from wholesalers on Bangkok.

Is that right ? It sounds odd that stones like this cannot be sourced closer than 1000km (roughly) away.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge on this.

Thanks
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (14.41 KiB) Viewed 250 times
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Pea Gravel

Post by migrant »

fft100 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:09 pm Having completed the drainage pipes, stone filled the trench and edging bricks, I now want to fill the path with 10cm of pea gravel.

The usual gray gravel here is 'ok', but brownish or whitish pea gravel (see attachment) looks a lot more attractive. I have seen bags of 18kg for 109 baht, but I would like about 5 cu. Metres. Or more... I have asked around, but I have been told that this is natural Stone that comes from the Mekong and that shops here who sell it cannot get it loose but get it from wholesalers on Bangkok.

Is that right ? It sounds odd that stones like this cannot be sourced closer than 1000km (roughly) away.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge on this.

Thanks
The moo bahn we are staying at in Hua Hin has loads of that color, but the rocks vary from 25% to 100 % the size of my fist (which is fairly large). If not too big I can ask around, many original residents here still.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
deepee
Guru
Guru

Re: Pea Gravel

Post by deepee »

Couple years back the local garden center told me that river stone mining was now banned on environmental grounds.
Complexity is so simply overrated