The Nation newspaper to cease publication on June 28th

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

The Nation newspaper to cease publication on June 28th

Post by buksida »

After 48 years The Nation, one of the two English-language newspapers in Thailand, will end its print edition with its last issue scheduled for June 28th.

Nation Multimedia Group CEO Somchai Meesen, however, assured that there would be no layoff of editorial staff, who will continue to work and focus full-time on the company’s online platform.

Appearing on Krungthep Dhurakij’s ‘Hong Khao’ programme today, Somchai said that the migration by readers to social media as their main source of news, compounded by shrinking advertising revenues, have made it difficult for traditional printed newspapers to survive.

He also said that most of The Nation’s readers are of the new-generation, have lived abroad and mostly read online services, adding that retail sales of the printed newspapers nowadays are limited to corporate clients, hospitals and airlines, and cost a great deal of money to produce.

For these reasons, Somchai said that the company decided to discontinue the print edition of The Nation.

As well as the online English edition, he disclosed that the company will be adding a Chinese-language online service, tentatively scheduled for October.

As for the digital TV business, Somchai said the company decided to return the license of Channel 26 to the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission because its staff are not familiar with variety programming and their operational costs are high.

In 2015, co-founder of Nation Multimedia Group, Sutthichai Yoon, resigned as chairman and chief editor. In 2018, the group was taken over by a new owner.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-nation ... june-28th/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: The Nation newspaper to cease publication on June 28th

Post by STEVE G »

These English language newspapers have become so neutered under the Junta that they're not worth reading. I used to buy one of them everyday when I was in Thailand but I haven't bothered for quite some time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Are you saying that there's no 'free press' in Thailand. Nah. Don't believe it. Prayut supports freedom of speech!!
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

So, SteveG you do not use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram also, because those are also “neutered”, though only for a certain political persuasion?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Felipesed1 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 am So, SteveG you do not use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram also, because those are also “neutered”, though only for a certain political persuasion?
I don't use any of those anyway, neutered or not but I did use to buy the newspaper in question and now I don't, not for any reason of political principal, I just don't find it interesting enough to justify the cost. I used to have an electronic subscription to the Bangkok Post and I cancelled that as well for the same reason.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Both English language papers here are heavily censored - it is the only way they have been allowed to continue operating. The Thai publications even more so.

Facebook should not even come into the same category as news - it is digital pollution, nothing more.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson